bow question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the great info. I have decided to keep it where it is and work on papertuning it. Dont be surprised if I start asking more questions.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IBO standards for modern archery equipment says that for every pound you pull, your arrow needs to weigh 5 grains per pound... So, for example, if you're pulling 60 pounds, your total arrow weight (this is with vanes and broadhead) should be no less than 300 grains.

I pull 70lbs so my arrows weigh 350 grains or more.

So, what I'm saying is, if you're going to increase your draw-weight. Make sure your arrows weigh enough.

+1 on this... Carbon's will literally explode if they're too light... no one likes people with carbon fibers sticking out of their hand... it's a scientific fact.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok so I have know way of weighing my arrows. I am shooting Beman ICS bowhunter 500 and using 100grain muzzy broadheads.I have to measure them but I think my arrows are around 29" long. Next to the name there is a little # that says 7.3 gpi. Does this mean grains per inch? Do I have anything to worry about? I have not paper tuned yet but I do have it sighted in pretty good. I read about paper tuning and I am thinking that I need to more consistant at my shooting and work on my form before I can determine anything. Is this a correct asumption? All this talk about shooting my bow is getting excited about deer season this year!!

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here is how the numbers on your arrow work...
500 is the spine (stiffness) of your arrow in which u may be a little under spined and with your setup will probably need 400s especially if they are 29inch long (u can stiffen an arrow by cutting it shorter) my wife uses 500 at 42lbs. yes gpi is grains per inch so u can calculate your weight with that and get relativly close....your arrows should be roughly around 400gr with nock, fletching, insert and broadhead or field tip
as far a safety u should be fine but the weak spine may not tune well.... if it doesnt, cut them shorter or buy a stiffer spined arrows

Latest posts

Top Bottom