Brass Forming - Please explain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. I'm going to buy the forming trim die and try my hand at these. When I get a batch done hopefully someone who has a 300 aac or variant gun can finish loading them and see how they turn out. Sounds like a fun klittle project

If I get my upper put together, I will volunteer for that job. I'd be happy to pay you for the brass as well. If everything comes out kosher, I would be interested in purchasing brass from you if thats something you are looking to do.

Just bought a new revolver so my plans for the 300AAC have been postponed. Shouldnt be too much longer, however, as its basically standard 556/.223 receiver and bolt. I may end up just canabalizing one of my other uppers.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okie Dokie guys,

Originally when I looked into the forming die for my dillon trimmer I was told by the people @ CH tool and the die they make is a 300 Whisper die which is very close to the 300AAC and they recommended using it and then running the brass through a sizing die for final dimension. As off as it may sound, the idea of having to veer off the beaten path to get to my goal made me loose interest in CH's offerings. I looked some more and found Brads who has the trimmer die made in 300 AAC but they have been backordered. Fast foreword a year and I finally got the chance to score one.

So now that I have the die and milled toolhead for the 650 I should be able to crank out the little suckers pretty darn quick. .
here is a pic of the die and toolhead

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_tyromeo55_282a48e4.jpg

WhiteyMacD----- If your still up for testing out some form'd brass PM me your address and I'll send ya some to try out

Flynraider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how this turns out.... I've never formed my own brass but have thought about trying to get into it.

FYI, Midway has virgin Remington and Hornady brass available for 300AAC if you are still wanting to go that route. (hope it is legal to post that, if not please forgive my newbness)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a guy on the Enos forum that was selling the heck out of .300BO brass awhile back. Trymeo, if I ever get my build done, I'd be up for some. It'll probably be later this summer tho.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a guy on the Enos forum that was selling the heck out of .300BO brass awhile back. Trymeo, if I ever get my build done, I'd be up for some. It'll probably be later this summer tho.

I don't know if I'm wanting to sell any or not. I'd have to be sure I was pumping out a good product. If I do I'll post it in the proper forum.

I had a quick moment today and up the press with the new die. It still needs the VAC attached to suck out all the brass but initial thoughts are very pleased at the moment. My current mixture of home made lube seems to work very well and not showing signs of hydraulic denting or buildup in the die. I don't have a chamber to check a sized round in so Ive ordered ( Back ordered) a Wilson case gauge to ensure that the setup is adjusted proper. After that maybe it is time to convert the press to hands free Automatic using Alank2's press monitor that has been needing some attention. When I get some brass done would anyone that reloads and has a 300AAC want to test some?

Obligatory Pix NOTE: the milled tool head. the round is so short is is the only way to get the trimmer to cut them short enough and still be able to remove the chips

[Broken External Image]

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_tyromeo55_IMG_0312.jpg

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been forming brass for wildcat and obsolete calibers for almost 40 years. In most cases, I don't use anything special.
On some conversions, I may have to use multiple dies and steps to get it done. Most of what I form now is 30 and 357
herrett from 30-30, 375 winchester from 30-30, 7.65 argentine Mauser from 30-06, 8mm mauser from 30-06 and 7.62X25
from either 38 special or 223. I also form 7.7 Jap from 30-06 and have formed 243 and 7mm-08 from 308 brass.
On some I have to turn the neck due to thickness after forming, on others, I have to use an undersize expander because
the necks are thinner. When I uses military brass for something like 243 win, I have to reduce the load because of
reduced case capacity. I machined all my expander plugs and tempered and polished them for my specific needs. I
normally use full length sizing dies for the forming operation and have never broken or worn out one in all the years
I've been doing it. I own and use two different Dillon RL-550B presses and I would never think about doing case
forming on them. I use either a RCBS Rock Chucker or a Lee 50BMG press for the forming operations. I personally
think it would put way too much stress on the toolhead of the Dillons doing forming on them. I have the Dillon Rapid
Trim as well as the RCBS powered trimmer and they make lots of difference in the trim part of the operation. I used
a Lyman and a Forster manual trimmer as well as hardened trim dies before I got the powered stuff. I tried annealing
before forming and that led to a much higher rate of failure in the forming operation. I now anneal after I have done
the major forming operations. The use of a really good lube is an absolute requirement in these operations. I have
used everything from home made concoctions to all the standard brand case lubes and find that Imperial Sizing Die Wax
works best for me in all applications. Don't be afraid to try your hand at forming brass from other calibers. Good luck
Blitzfike

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm wanting to sell any or not. I'd have to be sure I was pumping out a good product. If I do I'll post it in the proper forum.

I had a quick moment today and up the press with the new die. It still needs the VAC attached to suck out all the brass but initial thoughts are very pleased at the moment. My current mixture of home made lube seems to work very well and not showing signs of hydraulic denting or buildup in the die. I don't have a chamber to check a sized round in so Ive ordered ( Back ordered) a Wilson case gauge to ensure that the setup is adjusted proper. After that maybe it is time to convert the press to hands free Automatic using Alank2's press monitor that has been needing some attention. When I get some brass done would anyone that reloads and has a 300AAC want to test some?

Obligatory Pix NOTE: the milled tool head. the round is so short is is the only way to get the trimmer to cut them short enough and still be able to remove the chips

[Broken External Image]

i75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_tyromeo55_IMG_0312.jpg

Pretty sweet setup tyrome!

Be careful with small brass shavings and dust... if you start generating a bunch of fine particles, it can be deadly to your lungs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom