BREAKING: Multiple Explosions at Finish Line of Boston Marathon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darth_ted_82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good call. Watching the video, I thought "big stinky AmFo". Apparently with intentional shrapnel. Hope there's enough evidence to help find the perpetrators.

There will definitely be evidence left. I've performed many BDAs from all kinds of explosions and even with incendiary devices there are clues and tell tales left behind. I could be wrong as I'm certainly not an expert, but I would say since they were relatively small, direction fragmentary charges with low heat there will be lots of goodies to collect.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
White/Gray smoke, low flashpoint means probably no fuel accelerant. If there was a fuel used, then the flame would have been bigger/more intense with more burns in the peripheral and thick, black smoke. Most likely it was a powder substance (cordite, some forms of HME, urea). I don't think it was from black powder. Demo I've set with black powder was a lot "dirtier," darker smoke, etc. Best of luck to the experts with their BDA. I wish I was in a position to do something to help.

Good call on not being black powder Ranger, but it was certainly not a high order explosive. Anfo is out also based on the cloud color as well. Similarly ap is probably out based on the amount of smoke. Im betting a fuel rich flash powder comp. Very stable comps are easy to make and transport in a small enough packages to be extremely dangerous even without confinement.

darth_ted_82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Did you notice the white residue in on the ground right against the building at, what i think, is the second bomb site? Could possibly be from the initial heat of detonation, but I'm not sure. I don't think these were very "hot" shots... What do you think?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats another good point about the residue. Maybe it had some sort of incendiary mixed with it or separately attached. The flash itself seems too long and too dull to be a stoichiometric mixture of any flash powder i have seen unless there was something else added for an incendiary effect.
However the more i think about it, an etn compound would look like that, and if the batch was contaminated or mixed with powdered fuel to excess it might leave that type of residue.

Then again, as Dennis pointed out, cordite could too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom