broken blackhawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i have a ruger blackhawk 357. it is an early gun - 3 screw that has been retrofited with the safety kit by ruger.

the gun worked well until saturday. when i went to shoot it the plate that slides upwards as the hammer is cocked hits on the firing pin that is sticking outward. if i point the barrel straight into the air, the plate falls back and then goes over the firing pin.

if the plate hits the firing pin, the hammer does not continue to cock.......

any suggestions?????

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Umm, send it to Ruger, they are know for having great customer service.

I really thought this thread was going to be about a Blackhawk helicopter circling over reddog01's house.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hold on for a few... Before you go through the time, cost and hassle of shipping a gun to the manufacturer, surf Ruger revolver specific forums for info about transfer bar safety malfunctions and Brownells or other for diagrams.

It's been several years since I did a trigger job & pull reduction on my Blackhawk, but there was more than a few forums with posts concerning home gunsmithing on Blackhawks.

Even if you know all the part names and can describe the problem well, I doubt Ruger will do more than be PC and advise you to ship it to them or recommend a factory authorized service center.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bring it in, I will find out for you what is wrong. Might be that the safety bar has just come off the connector. or a pin broke, (easy fix if that is all)

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For what it would cost to ship it to Ruger and the time it would take I'd take it to Honeybee and let him take a swing at it

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Does it have a small spring loaded plunger in the back end of the cylinder base pin, as the later models with transfer bar do? If so this plunger can become stuck in the foward position and cause the cond. you describe. This is because the purpose of the plunger is to push the transfer bar back to clear the firing pin when the gun is cocked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom