Brothers of a different mother

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been comparing my 1911 and tokarev tt-33 trying to decide which one I would want to carry in a combat situation, I've been firing them side-by-side for a year now and admire them both.
The tt-33 is basically a modified 1911 and the changes have produced a very rugged and reliable handgun with fewer parts than the 1911, it is also slimmer and lighter.
the 7.62x25 cal. round has exellent penatration and long range accuracy and the 45 acp is bigger and slower which is better for close quarters stopping power.

The Tokarev was brought into service in the mid-1930s as the TT-33, to replace the old Nagant revolvers as the official Red Army sidearm. The Sovs made a jillion of them, and also farmed out production to other Warsaw Pact countries like Romania and Yugoslavia. They were finally discontinued in the early 1950s.

Like all Russki guns of that era, the Tok is like a hammer. It is rugged to a fault, and can handle ill-treatment that would reduce other guns to immobile lumps of steel.

The Tok is an interesting gun to shoot. The grip is rather upright for my liking, making it feel strange to a 1911 shooter. But it’s reliably accurate, and the big frame handles the 7.62mm’s recoil without any fuss. It uses more or less the same mechanics as the Colt 1911, except that unlike the 1911, the Tok has no safety catch of any kind—no grip safety, manual safety, nada. So this is not a gun you carry around in Condition One, because it’s always in Condition 0, loaded. The Tok has a half-cock facility for its hammer, but I don’t trust half-cock on any gun, least of all a Russki one. Best way to carry the Tok is with an empty chamber, which makes it not the primo choice for self-defense.

Both guns are time and battle tested, plenty of parts and ammo around, one is a work of mechanical art and the other is a ugly ass workhorse.
I think I've made a decision......I have to carry both!

Attachments

• 762x45 007.JPG
    762x45 007.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 190

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you summed it up nicely. The Tokarev is a great design. I think someone also used to make 9mm barrels for it, but I do not know if you can still get them. The 7.62 x 25 is a great round, but is there anyone that makes a good hollow point defense round in this cartridge? For me, the lack of a factory safety in the original design would be a showstopper as far as carrying it for defense. I know that a safety was added to many of these pistols in order to satisfy import requirements, but can a safety that was an afterthought be trusted? I just do not understand why the original design did not include a safety.

kbolt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did see some 7.62x25 in hollow points online recently, but I don't remember where. I'll have to look again, I think I'll pick some up. I've got about 5000 rnds of surplus, At a hundered bucks per thousand my tokarev and my 10/22 are my main plinkers.

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tokarev is Tokarev. It looks like a 1903, but a 1903 was a "hammerless" blowback, the TT-33 an external hammer tilt barrel. The barrel lockup in particular is pretty 1911-ish, but the full radial locking lugs are a tad different. And the hammer module is pretty unique in and of itself.

Oh...and most of the aftermarket safeties are bad. The Chinese version is the one I'm most familiar with, and it actually locks the mechanism pretty well, but it is very hard to operate and easy to break.

Latest posts

Top Bottom