Broward sheriff Scott Israel refuses to resign, touts 'amazing leadership' in interview with Tapper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He could be facing ouster, like it or not. According to this story, Florida has a law where they can suspend such people, and an investigation towards that end has been requested.

"Scott does have the power to remove Israel due to the state’s Statute 112.52, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported. He said the Florida Department of Law Enforcement would launch an investigation, adding, “There must be an independent investigation and that is why I asked the FDLE Commissioner to immediately start this process.”"

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel Facing Calls for His Ouster After Florida School Shooting

I also wonder if there would be a way for parents of victims killed to be able to sue for some reason?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He could be facing ouster, like it or not. According to this story, Florida has a law where they can suspend such people, and an investigation towards that end has been requested.

"Scott does have the power to remove Israel due to the state’s Statute 112.52, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported. He said the Florida Department of Law Enforcement would launch an investigation, adding, “There must be an independent investigation and that is why I asked the FDLE Commissioner to immediately start this process.”"

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel Facing Calls for His Ouster After Florida School Shooting

I also wonder if there would be a way for parents of victims killed to be able to sue for some reason?
I'd tend to doubt it. Police have no duty to individuals in most cases and this is one of the 'most'.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why should he resign? The cop that was on site was armed and had the proper training-besides, no one really know how a person will react when "under fire" until that particular moment. Military members under fire have been known to tuck tail and run leaving the rest to fight even though they passed all the training methods. The Chief wasn't on site, I don't know if he assigned the coward cop to the school or if he came from a "pool" of volunteers. Regardless, the Chief did nothing wrong in my estimation other than holding his position. None of us know the entire story other than some crowds what his head on a platter. We have had some government leaders do worse and they remained in office only the victims weren't children-they were active duty.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I mentioned somewhere earlier regarding the deputy not going in to stop the shooter during the shooting, I’d like to see the plan that I can only hope was in place. The adequacy and detail in the reaction plan would go a long way in determining the level and quality of leadership, amazing or not so much, that the sheriff provided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why should he resign? The cop that was on site was armed and had the proper training-besides, no one really know how a person will react when "under fire" until that particular moment. Military members under fire have been known to tuck tail and run leaving the rest to fight even though they passed all the training methods. The Chief wasn't on site, I don't know if he assigned the coward cop to the school or if he came from a "pool" of volunteers. Regardless, the Chief did nothing wrong in my estimation other than holding his position. None of us know the entire story other than some crowds what his head on a platter. We have had some government leaders do worse and they remained in office only the victims weren't children-they were active duty.
Leadership failure.

You mention the military: a skipper can be off-shift, in his stateroom, with somebody else on-duty and nominally responsible at the time, but if the boat runs aground, it's the captain's ass in a sling. Or--to pick another totally hypothetical example--if there's a collision with another boat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom