Building a house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, the soon-to-be wife and I have been thinking of building a house, we've talked with a builder that we like, and went over the specs on a floor plan and got pricing. What I'd like to know, is what some of you that might have gone this route, experienced through this process. It's ups and downs....what can I expect? Was it worth it in the long run? any suggestions....tips? We have looked at tons of homes new and old, and found things that we like and don't like, but never exactly what we wanted....We feel that this is the solution to getting everything that we have been looking for in a home together for pretty much the same price as buying new.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't trust the builder to advise you. Research every details of the house as to what you want, get pics of houses with details that you like, and get it in the contract IN DETAIL. Don't skimp on the little things, like lighting (light up everything), outlets, cable connections, outside faucets. I would put in a post-tension foundation, they might tell you that it's not needed, IT IS. Put the best roofing, siding, windows you can afford. Research the AC units, you can see a lot of savings if you invest in a good unit. Again don't trust the contractor or builder, be out there every day and be picky. I like open floor plans, much more practical. We have a formal dining room and living room, that we never use. Try to make your wife happy!!! But remember they operate on emotions, and don't always think of the practical side of things. Put a good fireplace in that can heat your house when the electric goes out, and it will!!! Think about pre-wiring for sound system. And also think about a safe room, wish I had done that. Good Luck.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WFT offers good advice. Listen to him. It is far, far better to spend a little more money now than a lot more money later. Also, walk around your current house and list all the things that you like and dislike and use that as the basis for your planning.

My experience with contractors has been that when they quote you a price, assuming you're not obviously wealthy, they will figure in the cheapest way to accomplish the mission. This might include cheap lighting, ceiling fans, door and cabinet fixtures, etc. I could go on, but this would get to be a long list. Just keep an eye on things and ask questions, and then check out the answers. It's a big investment, but it's not a bad time to be building.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd act as my own general contractor (or find one I could trust) and do as much of the work myself as I could. If you can tile, paint, tape and bed, do the trim, landscaping etc., you'll be way ahead.

If you're not hands on, then you'll have to do your due diligence up front in selecting a reputable contractor and develope a good working relationship with him/her.

Good luck! It's an experience everyone should enjoy at least once.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Expect to go over budget. My friends are building a house right now. The wood work didnt look as good as planned so they had to change it and that is costing them a lot of money. Also plan on it lasting longer than planned. My friends were supposed to move in July 1. Now they are hoping that they move in before Christmas. It is crazy because they have been "in the dry" since some time in May. Custom homes cost more and take longer then spec homes.

Def do your research on everything that you are interested in having put in your house. If you can pay cash for your appliances. Also if you are not super picky or if you can, try to by all of your hardware out of pocket while it is being built. You can hit up some of the habitat for humanity places and they are donated items, that they then sell to help fund their projects. Sometimes you can find really nice stuff there and it will help your bottom line.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Building a house can be stressful, and a strain on a relationship.

I have seen a few divorces during the building of a house.

Be careful not to let it get the best of you.

The good news is, if you make through the process, you just might have a chance!:thumb:

I have built houses for others, and would probably buy a gently used home, or a completed new home, to avoid the stress.:twocents:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Advantage makes a good point. If you pay $600 for a washer or dryer and include it in the mortgage, it'll wind up costing you about $143,000 at the end of 30 years. Well, maybe not quite that much, but you get the idea. You could actually calculate how much once you get your financing terms established.

KBC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^ All good advice. There are several great builders in the OKC and surrounding areas. Finding them is the tricky part. From my experience stay way from Homecreations. I had a house built by them several years ago, shotty crafstmanship and materials, they were great until we closed then were a PITA to deal with on warrenty items. Sold that house and finished building a new house in Feb this year (my cousin was the builder). The best advice I can give you is get every detail you want, need, and desire in your contract. Unfortunately, building material prices can change rather quickly, try and get a lock on material prices. The best things we did on our new house was spray foam insulation (pricey at first but great long term investment), radiant heat in the floors, good windows and doors. Our gas and electric bill is the same and less as our old house that was 700sq ft smaller.

If you are military you can get a 10% discount from Lowes and Home Depot. Talk to the builder and see if they use those two companies for materials...most builders in the city do. Offer to go and "purchase" the materials, saving you money. 10% doesn't sound like much, but when building a house it will save you a ton. We did, and saved a lot of money, typically using the savings to upgrade to better fixtures, fans, and aminities. Good luck, it is a long trying process but very worth it when all is said and done.

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Building a house can be stressful, and a strain on a relationship.

It most certainly can. We renovated a house built by my great grandparents and added on. Went from 1100 sqft to 2800 sqft. Originally, we were going to go with a contractor to manage the build, but decided to do it all ourselves. It's really not that difficult, and you can end up saving a bunch of money that would otherwise go to the GC. I know quite a few guys at work that have done the same thing and have ended up with a whole lot more house for their money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom