Windows, humidity and A/C?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a good read, check out the website.

Note: If Condensation occurs, it's on the high-humidity side of the window. (Summer is outside / Winter is inside)

Does condensate on a double-pane window mean the seal has failed?

The location of the moisture indicates whether or not the seal has failed.

On a sealed double-pane window, the space between the panes is filled with a dry gas and may contain a desiccant, a material that absorbs moisture.

If the moisture is between the two glass layers, yes, the seal has failed. Contact the window supplier for a remedy.

If the moisture can be wiped from the room-side surface of the inner pane, the moisture is condensing from the room. On a double-pane window, this simply indicates high humidity - not a failed seal.

To avoid this condensation on windows, remove moisture from inside the home. This can be accomplished by using exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom.

https://www.engext.ksu.edu/buildingenvelope/windowsanddoors

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dehumidifier won't do anything for moisture on the outside
I'd argue a dehumidifier allows your ac unit to not run nearly as hard to achieve the same perceived temperature, therefore setting the thermostat at 72 or 73 with drier air inside may yield the same "felt" results with less condensation on the exterior windows due to less temperature gradient. How do I know? We had the same problem two years ago...

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My read of Parks post is that he’s completely disinterested in ANY solution that involves raising the thermostat. In fact his exact words were “AC is typically set at 70 during the day and 66 overnight. Just how it is and I won't change that.”

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just get some lacquer frost in a rattle can and frost the windows and call it good. Then when it's subzero in the house and 4000 degrees outside and 80% humidity, nobody will ever know.

Poorly vented kitchens (recirc packs in the microwave or the hood), bathroom fans blowing into the attic instead of the outside contribute. Same for Dryer vents. You gotta get the moisture out. We used to get this issue in Fayettenam every summer. Had to vent everything to the outside and turn the thermostat up. It is what it is.

Firemedic712

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My read of Parks post is that he’s completely disinterested in ANY solution that involves raising the thermostat. In fact his exact words were “AC is typically set at 70 during the day and 66 overnight. Just how it is and I won't change that.”
Ok, I was just throwing out a potential solution. Sounds like he already knows what needs done anyhow

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. Seems like @-Pjackso has the intel on this sort of thing. Yes, the moisture in on the exterior of the windows. No moisture, in the Summer, is on the interior/room surface of the windows. Come about noon and the outside moisture is all gone on the North facing windows. The South facing windows do have moisture between the panes. Again, I'm sure this has to do with the low budget windows that are original to the house. The coldest part of the Winter brings other fun issues with these damn windows. It's not something I'm terrible worried about jsut didn't know what the likely cause was.

@dennishoddy this is the hope when we replace them in a couple years. Almost went with Pella during the remodel. Will get quotes from Pella, Anderson and Thermal Windows Inc out of Tulsa when it's time.

@Firpo you are pretty much correct. I like things to be cool/cold in the Summer in my house. We have three central AC units in our hosue with a mini split in the attached garage running. Hell, one of the reasons I got my shop AC'd last month. Without it, it was unbareable tying to work in there. Now, it's a little slice of heaven. I would have been miserable had I been born in OK 100 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom