Bullet Pullers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always used the kinetic hammer if I was pulling a few bullets. Recently I got a 5 gal bucket of stuff that needed pulled so I got the Hornady cam lock puller and it’s been working pretty well. Kinda depends on what kind of bullets you are pulling( camlock does not like pulling lead bullets)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I always used the kinetic hammer if I was pulling a few bullets. Recently I got a 5 gal bucket of stuff that needed pulled so I got the Hornady cam lock puller and it’s been working pretty well. Kinda depends on what kind of bullets you are pulling( camlock does not like pulling lead bullets)
This is true. If I take my time and have everything set right, the slight ring isn’t bad. Most of the time, if I’m shooting lead, I’m not going for distance accuracy. That being said, I can get how the ring might be an issue for some.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my Lee press
for rifle and longer pistol I remove one of the dies - put the round in the shell holder and run the bullet up through the hole
when the bullet extends through the die hole - grab it with some old electrical wire crimp pliers
push the press handle back up and the bullet comes right out
+one of the crimp slots in these old pliers fits 223 good enough it doesn't damage the bullet
I do this mostly with my lead [reload] bullets and re-melt them - it goes way faster than other methods

also made an attachment that allows me to do the same with pistol bullets

Attachments

• bullet pull.jpg
    bullet pull.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 39

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My RCBS hammer puller is pushing 30 years old and still does the job.
I think I replaced the O ring once.
Its hit concrete, wood, steel, etc. and held up fine.

You can rig one up from wood or some pipe and a T fitting, but unless your shooting something huge, like 50 BMG or 577 snider an off the shelf puller is all you need.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll credit @swampratt for this one. I had read it on other forums but I think it was him that posted a pic on OSA. Cheap long nose pliers from Harbor Freight with a hole drilled in it. I don’t remember what size but I used. I filed the edges down so the marking on the bullet is minimal. Put the shell in a shell holder and raise it up through the die hole with no die in it. Grasp the bullet and lower the ram. I was surprised how easy it worked
689A6639-091D-4820-B82E-A322F1004424.jpeg

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is exactly how I pull bullets also. I just take the die off leaving the cartridge in the shell holder, run the bullet through the empty hole and grab it with some snap-on pliers I have an lower the boom. It sometimes messes up the bullet but I could care less about one as I have hundreds
I was a little hesitant to chime in as I thought it might be one of those don't try this at home folks ordeals for the unexperienced guy and I didn't want anyone to hurt himself or break an nail or something. ;7)
Now two guys let the cat out of the bag so I'm good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom