410 ammo, what would you do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought this Friday at Third Generation Shooting Supply (AKA “Gene Sears”). Fired one round today in my S&W governor. Could not fire a second round, couldn’t pull the trigger, couldn’t even pull the hammer back. Tried to open the cylinder, wouldn’t budge. After wrestling with it for about five minutes finally got the cylinder to open, had to take a wooden dowel to tap the empty case out. If you look closely at the bottom of the fired case you will notice the bulge. Would you fire another shell or hope that they can be returned. I have a Iver Johnson 410 single shot that I’m thinking about trying one in tomorrow. Bad idea or not?

Attachments

• IMG_5335.jpeg
    IMG_5335.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5333.jpeg
    IMG_5333.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5330.png
    IMG_5330.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 0

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I researched the 410 shot shells in pistols jamming and seems low brass or certain brands flow more rearward than others and get stuck.

I came to the conclusion the Governor does not really have a 410 "shotgun" Chamber towards the rear.

I am really curious as to exact measurements between the S&W and the 410 shotgun.
Is the area where the brass sits smaller in the shotgun?
Is the shotgun shell in the shotgun held firm so it can't move rearward?

I know there will be a space on the revolver and cases love to flow(expand) where they are not supported

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say it was a HOT load but who uses grams instead of grains to load any kind of ammo. 14 grams come to 216.053 grains
Unless they are talking about the amount of shot then it come to 0.4938 ounces

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say it was a HOT load but who uses grams instead of grains to load any kind of ammo. 14 grams come to 216.053 grains
Unless they are talking about the amount of shot then it come to 0.4938 ounces
Isn't 1/2 oz shot common in a .410?
Mirage is a popular shotgun shell manufactured in Italy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the judge and shot lots of different ammo through it mostly in write-ups on this forum, or just playing around with different loads. No issues what so ever with any ammo getting stuck.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 14 GRAMS is the weight of shot charge.

Shotgun powder levels are noted in DRAMS equivalent to BP.

It seems that shell or the entire load is a bit hot. OK for shotgun, but I wouldn't use in that revolver. My $0.02

Latest posts

Top Bottom