Bullet variations question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a box of Sierra MatchKings, 69 grain. I was having trouble getting consistent COAL with them, so I measured some bullets and found they vary quite a bit in length and weight. I'm at work now, and can't remember the lengths, but they would vary by several thousands. Oddly, longer bullets don't necessarily weigh more than the shorter ones. Most weighed 68.8 grains. I know people sort out bullets by weight, but does anyone sort by length?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of guys use a Meplat trimmer to trim all "bullets" to the same exact length, which in turn, also give a more consistent nose profile from bullets to bullet...

Even though these Match type bullets will vary in length, some by as much as several thousandths, the bearing surface will still remain the same, as most rifle bullet seating dies, contact the ogive of the bullet for seating, and not the tip. So, even though the loaded overall length may change a couple thousandths of an inch, it should have no effect whatsoever on the accuracy of your rounds....

Latest posts

Top Bottom