Bullfrog season is in full swing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One time, in South OKC, there was a field next to my buddy's apartment complex that had become flooded and eventually overrun with frogs. They were so loud, you could hardly hear the TV with AC the running! So my buddy's wife offered me dinner if I would get rid of a few. So I put on my muck boots, grabbed my mag-lite and pellet pistol and went to work. I got tired after stalking and killing 30+ frogs. Not sure how many were left after that, but it was much, much more quiet.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I left several dozen small ones for next year. Plus, when I put out my perch trap, it came in full of tadpoles.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
I'll have to post a couple pictures of the perch traps I built a couple years ago. They work very well. Not my very own design. I saw a picture on google of these and decided to try em.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nowhere near the mess you got but I was able to gig a few.
Had to catch a leopard frog for comparison.

BA9EB751-A349-4DBD-A11C-C4D5299E5B6E.jpeg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never got close enough to take a good picture of it, but my wife and I were fishing at a friends pond in Vinita, and we kept watching a huge bullfrog up on the bank, and about the time we realized what we were actually looking at, we saw it catch and eat (swallow) a mocking bird, before slipping back down into the water. That was the biggest bullfrog either of us had ever seen in our lives!

When that bullfrog sounded off, he sounded like he was in the bottom of a 55 gallon steel drum...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ate 4 legs for lunch today. Danged tasty. Been a long time since having some good frog legs.
Awhile back I bought a box of frozen frog legs from china in the grocery store.
When I fried them up, there was a taste that didn't appeal to me, and wondered what the heck.
I pitched the rest of them in the trash.
So, when getting these, I was a little apprehensive if I'd lost my taste for frog legs. Nope, just as good as ever.
Don't waste your money on those china legs.
Oh yeah, with the salt water, there wasn't any legs jumping out of the skillet either.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Killed a bunch many years ago that tasted like the red meat on a sand bass......nasty!! but those are the only ones I've ever taken myself that weren't great.

I grew up in SW OK and it wasn't difficult to get a mess of frogs, but I have no idea where to find them in NE ok. There just doesn't seem to be many bullfrogs around here??

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Killed a bunch many years ago that tasted like the red meat on a sand bass......nasty!! but those are the only ones I've ever taken myself that weren't great.

I grew up in SW OK and it wasn't difficult to get a mess of frogs, but I have no idea where to find them in NE ok. There just doesn't seem to be many bullfrogs around here??

I've heard several folks complain of the same, and I have to remind them that if you have a good bass population in a pond, creek, or lake, the bullfrogs will be non-existent. If there is a crap ton of water weeds like lily pads or milfoil, that the frogs can evade the bass, one might see a decent population and get to harvest some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom