Button to Booner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Really? Because I've seen plenty. Except where I come when they get that old, we no longer call them spikes but rather we refer to them as cowhorn deer because the two antlers are much taller than a typical spike and they bell out. We kill them as cull bucks.

Every area will have it's genetic tendencies.
Surely we'd see some if they always kept that trait.
In quotes, Dennis and I hunt within in a couple of miles of each other.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every area will have it's genetic tendencies. In quotes, Dennis and I hunt within in a couple of miles of each other.

Yes.
Its not all about Genetics. A preponderance of spikes in the herd usually signals something other genetics. Namely, it is often an indicator of poor habitat, high deer densities and/or a skewed buck-to-doe ratio.
The best thing you can do is let these bucks walk and concentrate on improving the habitat. If your area has a high deer density (typically anything above 35 deer per square mile), then you should concentrate on doe hunting.
We have run many article in Deer & Deer Hunting over the years that have documented cases where spike bucks eventually grew up to be record-class whitetails. Genetics is in the blood. For a buck, this does not manifest until the deer reaches maturity.In other words, you won’t know what he will be until he’s 3 or 4 years old. For more on the wonders of antlers, check out this special bundle. - See more at: http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/b...bucks-grow-into-trophies#sthash.QA2XhPbx.dpuf

Okie and I hunt where the agriculture covers 99% of the ground for many miles around us. Far different than the scrub brush bucks from Texas that need hundreds of acres per head for sufficient nutrition. We have too many does, but some of us are working on that with the ODW.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes.
Its not all about Genetics. A preponderance of spikes in the herd usually signals something other genetics. Namely, it is often an indicator of poor habitat, high deer densities and/or a skewed buck-to-doe ratio.
The best thing you can do is let these bucks walk and concentrate on improving the habitat. If your area has a high deer density (typically anything above 35 deer per square mile), then you should concentrate on doe hunting.
We have run many article in Deer & Deer Hunting over the years that have documented cases where spike bucks eventually grew up to be record-class whitetails. Genetics is in the blood. For a buck, this does not manifest until the deer reaches maturity.In other words, you won’t know what he will be until he’s 3 or 4 years old. For more on the wonders of antlers, check out this special bundle. - See more at: http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/b...bucks-grow-into-trophies#sthash.QA2XhPbx.dpuf

Okie and I hunt where the agriculture covers 99% of the ground for many miles around us. Far different than the scrub brush bucks from Texas that need hundreds of acres per head for sufficient nutrition. We have too many does, but some of us are working on that with the ODW.

Did you read the studies I linked? Particularly the 2nd and much more extensive one? Spikes may grow into something decent but all other factors being equal(habitat, nutritition, etc) a deer that starts out as a spike is always going to be playing catch up with his multi point yearling counterparts. They may end up as nice deer at 4 or 5 but over those years they're going to be passing on their inferior genes. I don't want to see spikes on my property if I'm managing for quality bucks. Id much rather see those 6 pointer yearlings knowing that if they make it to maturity they WILL be quality bucks instead of hoping that spike turns into something better on down the road.

That said I've seen what you've taken off your property so I guess I can't really argue that you're doing anything wrong.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A proper deer management plan should be a comprehensive plan including buck:doe ratio, enough land and hunters to make a difference. If your only plan is to shoot inferior bucks, and your buck to doe ratio is way off, you are just shooting yourself in the foot.
The DMAP program requires a sizable tract to sign up. (1200 contigous acres IIRC, can be multiple landowners) They require spot light surveys, they also issue several extra tags if needed to meet the goals. The extra tags allows hunters to shoot the required number of deer without regard to season limits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom