Camo Tutorial (Pic Heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good job...you rifle looks great.

I was watching Shooter this weekend and saw him do it to a rifle. Your tutorial puts all the pieces together for me. I think I may have to try it...however I may practice on some ammo cans first. Thanks!

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through a simialar process last year trying to find a good tutorial on painting.. but couldn't find a good one.

I too wrote up the "How-to" but didn't take quite as many pics during the process..

Here's my procedure:

I posted this on another site a few months ago... thought I'd share here too.

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_332297893_tnc3P_XL.jpg

I'm sure there is an easier way to do it, but here's how I did it.

1. after cleaning the stock, I painted the entire thing tan. I used some textured tan color from

my neighborhood Lowes,

• 1b. after that coat dried I shot it again, I was painting over a black stock, so it took 2 coats to

cover it well.
2. I taped the entire thing with some blue painters tape that I had left over from when I did some

painting around the house. I taped the barrel cover to the stock like it would be on the gun.

3. With a Sharpie marker, I found a picture on the internet of a camo pattern I liked and tried my

best to draw it on. I drew on both the black and green sections, and just shaded them in with the

marker so I could visualize what I was doing.

4. Once I had a pattern that I liked, I cut out the sections that I wanted to paint green with an

Exacto knife.

5. sprayed on 2 coats of green.

6. Once that dried I peeled off the remaining tape to see how it looked, pics below

7. I then taped the whole thing up again, and drew the black back on..
here's where I had a bit of trouble/confusion, I wanted the black to partially cover the tan and

butt up against the green, but with the blue painters tape I was using I couldn't see through the

tape to line up the edges, so I had to just guess. I got pretty close, and nobody would know the

difference if I didn't say anything, but every project like this has some flaw in it that only

you'll notice, this was mine.

8. cut out the sections to be painted black,

9. two coats of black.

10. remove the tape, admire your work!

11. I went back with some clear matte paint in an attempt to keep it from wearing to fast, we'll see

how it lasts.

• Here are a few pics I just happened to take at the Green and Tan only stage
    agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_342304436_p5X2D_L.jpg

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_342304522_g4fPA_L.jpg

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_332298163_7Hr6L_L.jpg

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_332297981_ucStF_L.jpg

Totally complete"
agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_334807581_tQiQA_L.jpg

Here are the pics I used as inspiration for the pattern, you can tell by the 1st one that I really

liked that pattern.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom