Camping & fishing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My pals want to go "primitive" camping, anybody have any suggestions?
Mostly looking for camping, but fishing would be fun too.
It has to be somewhere we can carry.
Wanting to go in late October/early November.

Thanks!

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
McGee Creek. It's in SE Oklahoma. Beautiful place. Pretty good size lake out there, and a reputation of good fishing, at least so I've heard.

What are you meaning by "carry"? CC? Carry long guns? Are you wanting to shoot tin cans while you camp kind of carry? ???

I don't ever go out primitive camping/backpacking/hiking without carrying, signs be dammed, even before I had a CC permit. Only way anyone will ever know is if the situation got bad enough I needed it, at that point, I'd rather be alive than listen to their sign.

There are 2 area's out there, a WMA and also a primitive hiking/backpacking/horse back riding area only as well.

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.18039

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
at that time of year muzzle loader season

Exactly. ^^^^

At that time of year you really need to look at the regs and what you can carry. Corps of Engineer lands don't allow casual plinking unless there is a designated range.

Concealed carry is always OK, but carrying centerfire rifle during MZ season can make for a bad day if a Game Ranger see's you.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a note on McGee Creek, the secondary area I mentioned is not WMA, so even during hunting season, you shouldn't have anything to worry about out there. It is a Natural Scenic Area that allows primitive camping. Permit is required, but it is free. You fill it out at the ranger station on your way in, and leave it in a drop box. They also have maps of the area there as well. I have backpacked out there.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking for a place to camp/fish as well and found Blue River in Tishomingo, but I didn't get a chance to go last year. A friend of mine did though on my recommendation and liked it. The river is stocked with trout. There are designated camping areas, but they vary from with showers, to hiking it way in to primitive locations.

http://www.blueriverok.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom