Camping out in the passing lane!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will not allow myself to get trapped in the left lane just because you want to go slower than me.

I saw a guy one time trapped behind 2 cars pacing each other on a 2 lane hiway and he used the shoulder to blow by them while giving the bird. I was in the slow lane behind the 2 cars but admit I laughed a little bit.

It must've been J.P.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HAHAHA!

Of course we've all been made well aware that there are those individuals who would probably immediately slam on their brakes if they ever saw anything like that in their rear view mirror...

I "hear" that's much less likely to happen when you have a Truck/SUV with a "brushguard" on the front. :D

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
have never figured out why some folks purposely camp out in the fast lane.
same for folks who do moving road blocks. which takes more than one vehicle to block everyone behind.

any moving road blockers out there? is this done on purpose????

From what I have observed on the turnpike, is people will move over to let someone in getting on from the on ramp then they never bother getting back over. These people ignorant, they think they are being nice to the person getting on, but could not care less about the people behind them in the passing lane. This is my logic, I see you getting coming on from the on ramp, I don't care how you do it, but I'm maintaning my speed, it's your job to merge, not my job to get in the passing lane or slow down for you because you are probably the same person going 45mph when I'm behind you on the on ramp putting my life in jeopardy, learn where the accelerator is.

I almost enjoy driving to St. Louis to see my brother, Missouri has signs about the left lane being for passing only and they work.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same can be said about y'all. Don't like that I'm going slower than you, but still at or above the limit, in the fast lane...activate your lights and pull me over. What's that? You don't have that either. Too bad. Deal with it.

No. I'm not physically using my vehicle in an attempt to make you stop committing a common traffic violation. A left lane camper is. Simple stuff.

(but I venture they write more speeding tickets than "slower traffic keep right" tickets.)

Yeah, it's not a just world.

But ask any Tulsa emergency vehicle driver that regularly travels 169 how they feel about left lane campers. It was just the other day I saw an ambulance with lights and sirens on the ass of some self-important, oblivious tool in the left lane. Guy had no idea a big flashy ambulance was behind him.

Just about every day (I'm on the highways a lot) I see a TPD cruiser in the left lane all up the ass of someone that is either unaware of his presence or too scared to speed up and move over.

We could get all up in arms like some people do about how a cop NEEDS LIGHTS TO SPEED (bull). Or we could move over and let him by. He's obviously late for lunch.

Left lane campers are obvious emergency services haters, and most likely some sort of communist or Ross Perot voter.

The difference is, the speeders are just in a hurry. Whether their increased speed is justified or not, they just want to get somewhere fast. They might just be impatient or maybe their mother is dying. Who knows? The intentional blockers and campers on the other hand, are doing their best to try to control someone else's behavior. They've found this one little inkling of power and they are doing their dangedest to hold onto it.

Indeed.

flashing their lights

To be fair, that's acceptable.

But, on someone like the tool in the Jeep Cherokee doing 62mph in the hammer lane of 169 northbound from 61st to Pine a couple weeks ago...it's not likely to make any difference.

Last edited:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well there you go...classic impasse. And since I'm in front of you, you lose sucker! LOL.
Yes, I lose......OR, you could just politely move over and let me through...

Why is everyone in such a hurry? More people die by car accidents than gun shots. Trust me, you're gonna die - why rush it? Don't be a statistic. Slow down and enjoy life.
I can't speak for everyone, but there can be many reasons.

I love those who make comments such as:
"There's really no need to go any faster, you're still only going to get there 2 minutes earlier"

Sure, man......but if I gotta' "drop a deuce", that 2 minutes could be extremely critical.
:anyone:

Ridge,
For folks like the Jeep-camper.....why, that's the reason the mini-gun was invented.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me offer MY perspective on both sides of the opinion "table".

1)First off, I as many others routinely will drive a few over. (usually about 5). I am not a fast lane camper but if I am in the left laneovertaking a car that is in the right lane and I look up and some person has come out of nowhere to ride my bumper, I will PROBABLY speed up just a bit to overtake the car I am passing and then pull over to the right lane to let you pass. I DO ROUTINELY CHECK IN MY REARVIEW MIRROR. Now if while I am speeding up and attempting my pass to let you over, you start to exhibit signs of the "road rage routine" I might just back off to the speed limit for a bit to piss you off some more...... Courteous thing to do on my part, absolutely not. I try to stay aware of the folks who want to drive faster than I do, but if you think I am going to speed up to 10-20 over just to let your behind over while I am legally overtaking another car, well as SMS has said earlier, deal with it.....
2) Now with shoe on the "passing foot" so to speak. If I am driving a bit more than the speed limit and come upon a car that is in the left lane going slower than I am with nobody in their right lane preventing them from getting over then I will move in behind them(not at tailgating distance) and give them an opportunity to check their mirror and get over. As others have mentioned, it is a driver's responsibility to check behind them as well as in front of them.

I DO AGREE that in almost all cases, if drivers would follow the KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS, then we would probably have much less of these types of threads.

Just my two cents on the subject...

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me offer MY perspective on both sides of the opinion "table".

1)First off, I as many others routinely will drive a few over. (usually about 5). I am not a fast lane camper but if I am in the left laneovertaking a car that is in the right lane and I look up and some person has come out of nowhere to ride my bumper, ...

Let me just stop you right there.
People and cars do not come from "out of nowhere".

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I guess that puts me somewhere in the middle of the camper/anti-camper argument.....
I don't think you can really claim this when you already admitted to camping in the passing lane just to be an ass to anyone driving faster than you.
I camp out in the left lane...just to piss off guys like you. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom