Can I sell a rifle to a resident of another state...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they have out-of-state plates on their vehicle, that should probably be a "reasonable" warning flag.

lol at this one because i sold a shotgun to a guy in tulsa on my way from OKC to Arkansas, and i was riding a bike with OREGON plates on it that i bought in California. lol.

we were both from OK... but i wonder if his warning flags were going off? lol.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend or relative visits OK, he wants to buy your rifle or handgun. It is ok to sell it to him. I once called ATF and was told that they have no business in personal transactions within the state by unlicensed persons.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend or relative visits OK, he wants to buy your rifle or handgun. It is ok to sell it to him. I once called ATF and was told that they have no business in personal transactions within the state by unlicensed persons.

wrong

The only way anyone outside of state can get a firearm from you by purchasing is through an FFL unless you leave them the firearm(s) in a will. You can, however, legally loan people firearms from out of state.

ATF has a huge problem as soon as your friend or relative crosses the state line with it if no FFL transfer, no loan agreement, or no will is in place.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What an agent may tell you in answer to a technical question carries no real weight. The only thing from BATFE that does carry legal credence is a written opinion/determination from its Technical Division.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't there some kind of law enacted last year that allowed transactions in adjacent states? I know there was something related to it. What am I thinking of?

Latest posts

Top Bottom