Out of State Gun Show attendance question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
First question, can I as an Oklahoma Resident attend a gun show in say Kansas or Texas and take a long gun with me and sell it to a private individual or would I have to see if an FFL at the gunshow would do a transfer? I guess if the individual happened to be an Oklahoma Resident I wouldn’t have to do a transfer but if the person is a Kansas or Texas resident I would have to do a transfer I think?

Second question, I as an Oklahoma Resident can purchase long guns at a show from a dealer but not handguns, right?

In regards to the first question, would they even let me in through the door with my rifle since I’m from out of state? Ive never taken a gun to a show to sell so I’m not familiar with how that whole process works.

Thanks guys.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can purchase handguns from an out of state dealer, but you can't take direct possession of them; they'd have to transfer it to an FFL in Oklahoma (it's possible that an Oklahoma FFL could be set up at a show in Kansas or Texas).

I don't recall ever having my ID checked to get into a gun show, but I haven't been to one in a long time, and I'm usually there with someone who's set up at the show, so it has been even longer since I went through the line.

ETA: generally speaking, for you to transfer a firearm to someone who's a resident of a different state, it has to go through an FFL.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can sell or buy a long gun to or from an FFL in another state. You cannot do either to/from a private individual (without using an FFL for transfer) As far as handguns go, you have to use an FFL no matter which scenario. They also have to ship the handgun to a FFL in Oklahoma for you to pickup.
Last Christmas I gifted my BIL a pistol in Iowa. I hoped to be able to take it with me and transfer through an FFL, unfortunately I had to bring it back home and ship from my FFL to his FFL. Ridiculous hoops and expense.

If you go to the big show in Tulsa next month, there are individuals and dealers from all over the country. You. Have to make sure that when dealing with individuals that they are indeed OK residents. Lots of inadvertent illegal transfers are done in these instances. Stupid laws I know, however I am not prison material. :)

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got to love all the infringements on Constitutionally Protected God-given Rights.

But you can transfer spoons to someone from another state without a background check. And knives. And hatchets. And swords. And cars. And axes. Even chainsaws.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First question, can I as an Oklahoma Resident attend a gun show in say Kansas or Texas and take a long gun with me and sell it to a private individual or would I have to see if an FFL at the gunshow would do a transfer? I guess if the individual happened to be an Oklahoma Resident I wouldn’t have to do a transfer but if the person is a Kansas or Texas resident I would have to do a transfer I think?

Second question, I as an Oklahoma Resident can purchase long guns at a show from a dealer but not handguns, right?

In regards to the first question, would they even let me in through the door with my rifle since I’m from out of state? Ive never taken a gun to a show to sell so I’m not familiar with how that whole process works.

Thanks guys.
Yes, as long as the gun is legal in the state you are taking it to. At Cabela's in WA we had a spreadsheet of what we couldn't sell to people. For example, we could sell a bolt action to someone from CA but not an AR.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Purely theoretical, guys. I haven’t been to a gun show in probably 5 years and not sure if I’ll even go to one in the near future but was just wanting to know the possible legalities on selling at them if I needed that opportunity since there never seems to be a gun show in my part of the state; they’re always across the state line.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wonder about these things too, or just buying guns in other states. Occasionally I’ll find something I have to have, but I’m in another state. A while back I found an M6 survival rifle for sale in a pawn shop in Colorado. I wanted it, but the lady at the shop didn’t know if she could sell it to me. I frankly didn’t know either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom