Can I stop wearing a mask after getting a COVID-19 vaccine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know....
My wife was hospitalized in mid December for pneumonia like symptoms. They could not figure out what was causing it. The Dr's told her that they had recently seen a a small number of cases similar. All they could do is monitor her low oxygen levels put her on O2 and treat the symptoms. recent to that she had spent a good portion of a day in the car with her friend who had been getting over flu like symptoms and travels internationally often. I'm convinced she had it then.

Something took out the Burn unit @ Hilcrest In late December of last year. Several nurses out with flu like symptoms for weeks, all tested negative for the flu. My wife had something a few days after Christmas last year, never seen her so sick, fever would come in and out. She'd feel better for a day, then crash the next. She wasn't right for 2-3 weeks afterwards. My kids eventually got something, but they were only down for a few days. I never got anything. She did get tested for the Flu and it came back negative too. Who knows. She asked the director of infectious diseases @ St. Johns if she should get the antibody test, and he said no, they've had too many inconsistent tests.

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some exceedingly smart people who have been working non-stop for most of a year to develop, test and prove these vaccines - I guarantee they know more about it than some Google Warrior.
:thumb:

I have one friend who still has antibodies 9 months after he was infected. He had a relatively mild case that lasted less than a week all told. We didn't know it was COVID at the time, until a week or two later.
Was he tested periodically for that 9 months?

My point... were his antibodies maintained for that 9 months, or is it possible that he contracted it again (which could explain the antibodies so much later)?

FWIW, some of us really appreciate your insight on medical issues. :thumb:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is an honest, straight-forward question --

What is the difference between 'slow the spread' and 'contain the spread'?

If this is literal, why on earth would we want to slow the spread? If it's inevitable, let's get it over with. Why lengthen the duration of this crap?

If it's contain the spread, I would applaud this.

Most everything I see though, is slow the spread.....

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm positive I had COVID a year ago ... Before it was officially here. But I feel crappy enough now I don't wanna feel crappier so I might step up and be a guinea pig for you guys. My banged up lung is still giving me trouble -- coughing KILLS my back. I don't need some nasty-ass virus to dig in ...

Yeah, I can't imagine having your issues, and covid-19. I coughed non stop for a month. That would be brutal.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something took out the Burn unit @ Hilcrest In late December of last year. Several nurses out with flu like symptoms for weeks, all tested negative for the flu. My wife had something a few days after Christmas last year, never seen her so sick, fever would come in and out. She'd feel better for a day, then crash the next. She wasn't right for 2-3 weeks afterwards. My kids eventually got something, but they were only down for a few days. I never got anything. She did get tested for the Flu and it came back negative too. Who knows.

Happened at my house also. I also tested 'negative' for the flu. I've had the flu. This wasn't the Flu. Thought I had Captain Tripps, or something like it. However, none of my close contacts or family got it.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is an honest, straight-forward question --

What is the difference between 'slow the spread' and 'contain the spread'?

If this is literal, why on earth would we want to slow the spread? If it's inevitable, let's get it over with. Why lengthen the duration of this crap?

If it's contain the spread, I would applaud this.

Most everything I see though, is slow the spread.....

The difference, a lot of deaths. Don't get in a serious car wreck, have a heart attack or a stroke, if we just open up the flood gates. If the hospitals are full... where are you going to go?

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still wear my mask, mainly to set other people at ease and avoid conflict. Even though I had COVID a few weeks ago and have positive COVID antibodies.

We THINK that having antibodies means you should have SOME measure of immunity. How much and how long is up for discussion and debate.

There are some exceedingly smart people who have been working non-stop for most of a year to develop, test and prove these vaccines - I guarantee they know more about it than some Google Warrior. Take it or don't take it, the choice is yours.

I had the illness, and I'll ALSO be taking the vaccine. What you do is up to you.

This, as a nurse I get exposed to so much. I am sure I had it back in early April when it was first around when nobody was getting tested. Worse flu/head cold at the same time I ever had, fever to 103 and they were not wanting the "just sick" to go to the ER, SPO2 was in the 89-92% range and was told if it stopped coming back into the 90's then I could go in. Never bothered getting Antibody test, what would it matter either way?

But, I wear a mask for the sake of keeping others calm. Besides, I have spent so many professional hours in a mask that what does it matter to add a few more. Even though I have seen so few people properly dispose of PPE, and that has yet to become an issue.

I will be getting the vaccine. The more I challenge my immune system the better I feel.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of people think that. I've had a number of folks who have thought so - we have lots of illnesses every year we test people for flu and RSV and they're negative and there's not a specific answer to what bug or virus hit them. But I can say I've tested for antibodies on probably dozens who have been utterly convinced they had COVID before COVID was cool - and not a single one of them came back positive. Of course, the counter to that is saying their antibodies waned, but I think it unlikely that happened in every. single. case.

Personally, no, I don't believe there was any significant amount of COVID in the U.S. prior to early February (certainly not here in OK) - this is based on all the recorded data I have seen, as well as reports of exhumed bodies that were examined retrospectively knowing now what we know about COVID.

I realize that isn't going to change anyone's mind - but it really doesn't change anything anyways. I don't argue with people about it.

I get it. The only reason I think so is I lost my sense of taste. At the time I thought the Hot Tamales factory had forgotten to put the cinnamon in my box of candy. That was just too random a symptom ... I felt crappy for a week or so but didn't miss any work. I didn't think to get tested for antibodies back then. I tested negative during my recent hospital stay. All I know for sure is I definitely don't want to catch it now.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was he tested periodically for that 9 months?

My point... were his antibodies maintained for that 9 months, or is it possible that he contracted it again (which could explain the antibodies so much later)?

FWIW, some of us really appreciate your insight on medical issues. :thumb:

Yes, actually he is a physician as well, so he has been following his own antibody titers for his own edification. I think he tested 3 or 4 times through spring and summer, and then again a couple of weeks ago. So he skipped a few months, but there is no reason to believe he gotit again - he hasn't been sick.

And all the cases I've "heard" of about people or families "getting it again" are not anything proven. When you start chasing things down and really digging into it, most of it is "well, they were all sick in Jan/Feb/March and they are sure they had it, now they've got it again." Not seen any reliable, credible reports of widespread people who have been proven by accurate testing methodology to have gotten COVD, recovered completely, then gotten proven COVID again.

There is ALWAYS the chance that some few people nationwide/worldwide who don't develop an adequate immune response, or their immunity wanes. But, no, I don't believe with the data we have right now that there is a widespread chance of reinfection within a reasonable amount of time. Next year? I dunno, maybe. 5 years from now? I dunno, maybe.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This, as a nurse I get exposed to so much. I am sure I had it back in early April when it was first around when nobody was getting tested. Worse flu/head cold at the same time I ever had, fever to 103 and they were not wanting the "just sick" to go to the ER, SPO2 was in the 89-92% range and was told if it stopped coming back into the 90's then I could go in. Never bothered getting Antibody test, what would it matter either way?

But, I wear a mask for the sake of keeping others calm. Besides, I have spent so many professional hours in a mask that what does it matter to add a few more. Even though I have seen so few people properly dispose of PPE, and that has yet to become an issue.

I will be getting the vaccine. The more I challenge my immune system the better I feel.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

"Keeping others calm." Thanks for your honesty.

I believe that's kinda like addressing Bruce Jenner as ma'am. Enabling illusions and mental illness is just not the way to go in my book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom