Can we talk about Mandelas life and history?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He suffered a tremendously difficult life marked by 27 years of hard time while vying for civil rights. He got rid of aparteid. He's like MLK.

That's the revisionist version. I've spoken with many Rhodesians and South Africans who grew up, or served during that era, and I can tell you quite simply that there is no love lost for Mandela, Mugabe and others of their ilk. They've completely ruined what were once prosperous countries.

murphy j

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only problem was that apartheid was brought on by white trade unions had to go and stick their greedy hands into the political arm early on. Remind you of anywhere?

No argument here. I'm not completely up to speed on how apartheid came to be. I've been told what is was supposed to be, and that there was an ongoing plan/program of integration and education, but it was cut short by western political pressure.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In no way, shape, or form was apartheid acceptable for the human race. Period.

Just to be clear, our founding fathers were considered terrorists, and the colonies were quite successful and prosperous. Any time you have oppression, eventually you will find rebels.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
true, and as long as the statement is not perceived as a judgement of right and wrong, it applies in this situation. It is often possible for the "freedom fighter" and "terrorist" to both be wrong and or evil.
I can't fault Mandela for fighting Apartheid, only his methods.
In no way, shape, or form was apartheid acceptable for the human race. Period.

Just to be clear, our founding fathers were considered terrorists, and the colonies were quite successful and prosperous. Any time you have oppression, eventually you will find rebels.

Im going to point back to my quote above. To me the comparison of the rebels that helped birth our nation and the rebels associated with the Mandelas that fought apartheid ends at the point they were both fighting an oppressive regime.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im going to point back to my quote above. To me the comparison of the rebels that helped birth our nation and the rebels associated with the Mandelas that fought apartheid ends at the point they were both fighting an oppressive regime.

BS. They were fighting for their right to live free. Their ability to vote had been removed. Their ability to live was being revoked, they were being removed from their own damn country. I see a lot of latent racism in some of these comments, and it disgusts me. South Africa was not free. Lots of countries have been prosperous under repressive regimes, China comes to mind. I don't care how you earn your freedom, so long as you are free. I would rather live in squalor and be free than live in a nice house and be told how to live, where I could work, what clothes I could where, etc.

I don't claim to know all the details about Nelson Mandela and the ANC, but to call him a terrorist for fighting repression is ridiculous. Africa is a mess, they have been fighting each other since time began, it is unlikely to stop, but that shouldn't stop someone from fighting repression through all mean necessary.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BS. They were fighting for their right to live free. Their ability to vote had been removed. Their ability to live was being revoked, they were being removed from their own damn country. I see a lot of latent racism in some of these comments, and it disgusts me. South Africa was not free. Lots of countries have been prosperous under repressive regimes, China comes to mind. I don't care how you earn your freedom, so long as you are free. I would rather live in squalor and be free than live in a nice house and be told how to live, where I could work, what clothes I could where, etc.

I don't claim to know all the details about Nelson Mandela and the ANC, but to call him a terrorist for fighting repression is ridiculous. Africa is a mess, they have been fighting each other since time began, it is unlikely to stop, but that shouldn't stop someone from fighting repression through all mean necessary.

The BS is you continuing to argue a point which only you have made. No body here has denigrated anyone for fighting oppression. however, if you are fighting oppression in favor of the "new and improved" variety of oppression, than you are no better than your enemy.
If you see racism in any of my posts than it is the result of your definition of racism being watered down to the point of being worthless.
I would also point out that you have either intentionally or ignorantly ignored my point the difference between terrorists and freedom fighters. Maybe you could tell me which is better, sunni terrorists or shia terrorists? or are both freedom fighters? In my opinion they both deserve the same fate; a violent death, preferably by the hands of the other.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The BS is you continuing to argue a point which only you have made. No body here has denigrated anyone for fighting oppression. however, if you are fighting oppression in favor of the "new and improved" variety of oppression, than you are no better than your enemy.
If you see racism in any of my posts than it is the result of your definition of racism being watered down to the point of being worthless.
I would also point out that you have either intentionally or ignorantly ignored my point the difference between terrorists and freedom fighters. Maybe you could tell me which is better, sunni terrorists or shia terrorists? or are both freedom fighters? In my opinion they both deserve the same fate; a violent death, preferably by the hands of the other.

I wasn't referring to your post in reference to latent racism, I was just firing off after having read so much crap in this thread. I don't support the ANC, but I did support the abolition of apartheid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom