CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS? 6-year-old accidentally shot by 4-year-old

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you go about teaching firearm safety to a 4-Year old kid? And I doubt he know's Cooper's four rules. The sad thing here might be that we're still cracking jokes and talking about our rights while a 6-year old kid suffers.

This was a very unfortunate accident, and could have been a tragedy, but people writing here will not affect that situation one way or another. Whether by wailing and gnashing of teeth, emoting to show our deep empathy with the child, making light to assure ourselves - well it couldn't happen to me/mine - or looking at what might be fallout if the event is used to push other agendas that have little or nothing to do with the shooting.

The best practical discussion reinforced the issue of proper gun safety - the discussion above clearly aimed the responsibility for the four rules at the adults. And you can teach some gun safety to a four year old - take a look at the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" curriculum http://eddieeagle.nra.org/
Eddie Eagle is designed for children pre-K and up (those considered generally too young to handle firearms themselves)

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you go about teaching firearm safety to a 4-Year old kid? (snip)

"Son/Daughter, guns can be very dangerous. If you ever find one, or see another kid with one, don't ever touch it or play with it. Go tell an adult immediately."

Something like that will work. I plan on starting to teach my daughter (currently 2 years old) about firearm safety at least by the time she is 4. That said, my guns are locked up when not on my hip. And of course I hope the kid in question makes a full recovery.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you go about teaching firearm safety to a 4-Year old kid?

I didn't find it that hard, granted not all kids are on the same level at all ages but my now 5yr old knew when she was 4 not to touch my guns. I took both my kids & sat them down with a unloaded gun & explained to them the dangers of playing with one or using it improperly. I showed them the ammunition that it shoots & explained the damage it can cause. Then I took them outside with ear protection & let them watch me shoot it at a pumpkin & board. Once I was done I took them out to look at the damage it caused. I wanted them to know what a gun will do, that it can be dangerous if used as a toy & that it is in fact not a toy or to be touched without supervision.

So far it has worked. I think the good explanation, show of damage & sound of the guns going off drove the point home for them. They both want a little .22 rifle so we can all go shoot together but they also know I'll be keeping the guns in my room & they are not to come looking for them or touch them unless I'm right there with them supervising. I believe this approach is alot more effective than just showing it to them & saying "don't touch this". I made sure I covered all their curiosity & answered any question they had. Basically leaving no mystery or intrigue around it that could lead to them wanting to find out for themselves. In the end all gun safety kids learn falls on the parents shoulders.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Calming down a bit...but dammit that pisses me off when some innocent kid gets hurt and "we" turn it into something other than what it was. A stupid act on the part of an ADULT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom