Canadian Valley Rifle range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
10 bucks to shoot is worth it. They should charge 20.

Only if they keep the target stands in constant state of repair. Otherwise, Banner Range is nowhere near worth $20/trip to shoot. For that price and if you shoot regularly, it would not take much to step up to a better quality of facilities like OKCGC or Tri-City or any of the other local outdoor ranges or even justify a trip to the WMA ranges plus cost of license.

As for the damage he keeps getting from people hitting the support boards, that problem wouldn't occur if he would improve the support system for the plywood target boards. All he has to do is give people more room so they could actually mount their targets on the plywood support board without getting anywhere near the support boards. I can see on some targets were you could accidentally hit the boards if your gun is not sighted in and scope/sight is set too high. I do realize that some idiots will always manage to hit the boards no matter how you mount them. However, judging by the holes in the various locations (sheets of metal and concrete dividers) that should not have holes, there is a more important concern of safety and some out there don't have it.

When dustingaunder and I were shooting this weekend, there was a guy, on the opposite end of the range we were shooting on, just take of down the range without even checking with anyone else on the line. Dustin was about to start shooting so I quickly got him to stop and called the range cold. The guy just looked at us like "Huh I need to let you know I am going down range?!?!" Some people out there make you seriously go "WTF?!?!? How do you have all your fingers, toes, arms and legs!?!??!"

grphx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only if they keep the target stands in constant state of repair. Otherwise, Banner Range is nowhere near worth $20/trip to shoot. For that price and if you shoot regularly, it would not take much to step up to a better quality of facilities like OKCGC or Tri-City or any of the other local outdoor ranges or even justify a trip to the WMA ranges plus cost of license.

As for the damage he keeps getting from people hitting the support boards, that problem wouldn't occur if he would improve the support system for the plywood target boards. All he has to do is give people more room so they could actually mount their targets on the plywood support board without getting anywhere near the support boards. I can see on some targets were you could accidentally hit the boards if your gun is not sighted in and scope/sight is set too high. I do realize that some idiots will always manage to hit the boards no matter how you mount them. However, judging by the holes in the various locations (sheets of metal and concrete dividers) that should not have holes, there is a more important concern of safety and some out there don't have it.

When dustingaunder and I were shooting this weekend, there was a guy, on the opposite end of the range we were shooting on, just take of down the range without even checking with anyone else on the line. Dustin was about to start shooting so I quickly got him to stop and called the range cold. The guy just looked at us like "Huh I need to let you know I am going down range?!?!" Some people out there make you seriously go "WTF?!?!? How do you have all your fingers, toes, arms and legs!?!??!"

I couldn't agree more with everything this guy just said about banner road.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I agree!! I have had the same thing happen. We were shooting and somebody just walks downrange.....WTH??

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid I made my last trip to Banner Road today. I made a quick trip out there to verify the zero on my open gun and chrono some loads. Melissa decided she wanted to go with me so she came along. When we got there, Harry wanted to charge for Melissa to walk out onto the range. I explained to him she wasn't shooting and we wouldn't be there long. He told me he didn't want anyone on the range that hadn't paid, so I got my money back from Harry and we left. I won't be back and I will no longer recommend this range to others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Harry is well known and lots of folks know him and love him, but that range is a dump. The berm is a mess and overgrown, the target stands have always been crap, and there is no 'range officer' beyond Harry hearing a rapid fire and yelling indisrciminately over the PA.

I agree that it would not take a whole lot of effort to make it much better. Turn the earth, maintain the berm, fix the busted stuff, paint the rusty crap, and swap some volunteers RO time for free shooting, and the place would go up several notches.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm afraid I made my last trip to Banner Road today. I made a quick trip out there to verify the zero on my open gun and chrono some loads. Melissa decided she wanted to go with me so she came along. When we got there, Harry wanted to charge for Melissa to walk out onto the range. I explained to him she wasn't shooting and we wouldn't be there long. He told me he didn't want anyone on the range that hadn't paid, so I got my money back from Harry and we left. I won't be back and I will no longer recommend this range to others.

Unfortunately, I see his reason for this policy. Not everyone is honest about their intentions; and would take advantage of this if he let anyone in "not to shoot".

I agree it stinks this has to be the way it is, but I don't see that as his fault. He DOES have to make money after all. :shrug:

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That has been his rules, it seems like forever. I wonder if H and H will let someone out into one of their bays, just to watch?

Latest posts

Top Bottom