Cap and ball question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With about 90% made in Italy and about 10% made in spain. I'd choose the Italians. There are many brands out there but most are made in only 3 or 4 factories.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I would buy a Uberti over one of the other brands. Check out Cimarron arms at http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ to get some ideas. SuperDave has a really cool Remington in the classifieds that would allow you to shoot blackpowder or cartridge ammo with a cylinder swap. You'll have fun!

Outdoor America has a Uberti for 280 not sure I'm sure it has a top strap not sure what the caliber was probably .44

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a 1858 Army Remy from Carbelas.They have the best deal going right now at $189.The last Cap & Ball revolver I bought was a 44 colt Army &
that was years back.

The Pietta reproductions are soooooooooooo much better made now then
they used to be.Get one you will love it.
Fly

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a 1858 Army Remy from Carbelas.They have the best deal going right now at $189.The last Cap & Ball revolver I bought was a 44 colt Army &
that was years back.

The Pietta reproductions are soooooooooooo much better made now then
they used to be.Get one you will love it.
Fly

The ones I've seen online from Cabela's have brass frames

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ones I've seen online from Cabela's have brass frames

The brass frames will hold up ~generally~ well but I wouldn't load one really hot on a regular basis. The steel frame is preferred since if you want to install a conversion cylinder either from Kirst or R&D to run cartridge ammo, you'll want the stronger frame.

Remingtons had the top strap and Colt was open top until 1873 when they brought out the SAA. I have always preferred the looks of the Colt but that's just a personal thing. The Remingtons reloaded faster and from what I've read they were generally preferred over the Colts in their day.

This era in history is very interesting to me and I really admire the weapons of that time.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the looks & feel of the Colts also,but the Remeys are & were better even in
the day.Remeys sights are much better.

I got mine yesterday wiped the oil off,loaded it & shot a milk jug 6 times
out of 6 at 25 yards.Not bad for a cap & ball out of the box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom