Carbon Negative product?...yeah, right...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I lived in CA a friend of mine from South America introduced me to Yerba Mate. I've had a hard time finding it in bulk localy here in OK, but will sometimes splurge on some from the trendy "health food" market...

My wife brought home some of this today:

http://www.guayaki.com/

Now, I'm not complaining about the quality of the product... it was the claims on thei packaging that has sent me off into a rant!

I get that "green" is in...but this stuff actually claims to be a NEGATIVE carbon emission product!?! Some how buying this product actually HELPS the enviornment!?! Give me a freakin break...

The basis of the claim is that the plants are "shade grown" under rainforrest trees that absorb CO2...and that this not only negates the CO2 created in the production/packaging/shipping/etc but absorbs MORE CO2 than is produced. Of course, the giant big rig sized hole in their logic is that the rainforest trees the plant is grown under would absorb the same (if not more) CO2 regardless of whether or not the Yerba was farmed there!

Oh yeah...did I mention that the "made from renewable, non GMO wood pulp sourced from plantations employing Sustainable Forestry Management Principles, who conform to the enviornmental standard ISO 14,000 and have either achieved or are working toward FSC" pakage informed me via "water based inks" that the "USDA organic, Certified Fair Trade (fair for life)," product I was about to enjoy's claims had not been evaluated by the FDA...

...ok...that was a lot of typing on a little phone.....rant off.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just realize that most of the time with the supplement stuff companies can print whatever the heck they want to on boxes.

I'm not saying there aren't quality products out there, but lots of crazy claims etc. should get you asking questions.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it is also certified Kosher!

As far as Yerba Mate goes, I don't drink it for any particular health reason. I enjoy it as a drink...and the stimulant effects are less "jittery" than red bull, coffee or black or green tea.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to plant my carbon footprint on Al Gore's arse!

:clap3: ha! lol, Yeah I guess you can live in a house 100x to big for your needs, and lit up like the popes xmas tree, but if you put all low energy light bulbs in you are a green god and at that point saving the planet.......

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know why but this thread makes me thing of that special coffee from the movie "The Bucket List". :D

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it is also certified Kosher!

As far as Yerba Mate goes, I don't drink it for any particular health reason. I enjoy it as a drink...and the stimulant effects are less "jittery" than red bull, coffee or black or green tea.

the Brazilians love it... I have always meant to get a bombilla and gourd and try it out.

I had some yerba lemon tea thing at a coffee shop once and it was pretty good.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the Brazilians love it... I have always meant to get a bombilla and gourd and try it out.

I use a bombilla, but just feel too silly walking around work with a gourd. I use a plastic thermal coffee cup with a hole cut in the lid for the bombilla. Ill put some honey in with it and make 3 or 4 infusions from the same leaves throughout the day. I've found it to be much easier on the old belly than coffee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom