Case Stuck in Seating Die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright fellas, I'm in a tough spot. Yesterday I was loading .30-'06 and one of my cases got stuck in the bullet seating die. I don't know why, it shouldn't get stuck in there, but it is and it is stuck tight. I managed to get the bullet pulled out of the other end and recover the powder, but I cannot get the case out of the die. Any ideas?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First thing I'd try is sticking the die with the stuck case in the freezer for about 10 minutes. The brass should shrink a little faster than the steel and may free it up enough to get it out.

If that doesn't work, I'd try more desperate measures.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Search this thread for stuck case remover. They can be found as a kit or you can make one with a 1/4 tap, bolt, spacer, and washer

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just make sure your face is not in the way if/when the primer goes off when you strike the rod with that hammer :censored:

I'd use a hollow tube that doesn't touch primer... then gently tap it out.

Run the die into the press, drop a rod into the case, and knock it out with a hammer. Assuming you have the press ram out from under the case.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just make sure your face is not in the way if/when the primer goes off when you strike the rod with that hammer :censored:

I'd use a hollow tube that doesn't touch primer... then gently tap it out.

Use a nut driver for this.

Its not a bomb guys......

No powder and No projo then the primer can be pushed out carefully with a de-capping rod from another die or just set off and neutralized from the base if you are not comfortable. Common sense still applies but other then that it is not big deal

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
true... forgot to add, a few drop of oil before pushing stuck shell out will inert primer.

still would want to be on receiving end of a rod propelled by primer alone.

Its not a bomb guys......

No powder and No projo then the primer can be pushed out carefully with a de-capping rod from another die or just set off and neutralized from the base if you are not comfortable. Common sense still applies but other then that it is not big deal

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
true... forgot to add, a few drop of oil before pushing stuck shell out will inert primer.

still would want to be on receiving end of a rod propelled by primer alone.

I gently tap with a ball peen hammer and the odd occasion that I have set one off it is not that big of a deal other then the bang. I try to save the primers for my junk loads but the oil is not a bad idea at all. A little WD40 soaked in should work nicely

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put die back in press if it's a single stage, drop you some oil in there if you wish might make ya feel better.

1/4" wood dowel rod should be a touch smaller than your .30 cal case neck.

16oz framing hammer, PUT ON SAFETY GLASSES!

Give wood dowel a few light taps if nothing take die out of press and stand up with case head facing up and spray some WD-40 or other penetrating oil around case and let sit for an hour or so.

Dry off case and die re-insert into press.

1/4" wood dowel inserted into case and try the light tap again

If nothing be sure and HAVE YOUR SAFETY GLASSES ON and rap that dowel solid a few times and that should do it.

If you still have no luck then dude your gonna have to ship it off to the die manufacture.

I know stranger things have happened but to set a primer off your going to have to strike the outside, most I've had to punch back out cause I was stupid and used the wrong primer fell apart! either way be careful and PUT THOSE SAFETY GLASSES ON just in case a strange thing happens. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom