Cast bullets in 45 AR / ACP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A portion of the front of the bullet can be a bore rider but not all of the bullet.
You need to seal the gasses at the rear half of the bullet.
Bore rider just helps align the nose . but if it is too much undersized from the bore it can be detrimental.
I had to take my Lee push through .452" sizer and hone it to .4525".. that extra .0005" made the difference for me.
My bore is .453" I can't go .453" on bullet size and stick a bullet into the case and have it chamber unless i hone my chamber fatter..I did not want to do that.

With my bullet .0005" under bore size which is not ideal I still got decent accuracy.. but Bullseye powder and 2/3 soft to 1/3 hard lead.

I have a 357 Mag that the bullets are .357" and the bore is .3565" very accurate. .0005" over sized on that lead bullet.
It likes a harder alloy. All wheel weight and 2400 powder at Elmer Keith velocities.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be the powder you are using just does not play nice with lead and your loads.
I found cast is much more finicky in my guns and I must sort brass as to case thickness.
Measure ID and case OD after sizing.. if they are all the same then you are good.. got some .002" different those will not group well.
My 30-30 was very finicky had to turn all necks to eliminate shotgun patterns.

What powder are you using

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that I have been thinking about is the THROAT!

When I cut a throat for a chamber that will see nothing but cast bullets, I cut a totally different throat, vs. what I cut for a high accuracy match, sniper or target gun, and it makes all the difference in the world!

Just like the H&R Buffalo Classic in 45/70 that doesn't even have a proper throat cut in it, if any at all. A "target" throat will give these guns great accuracy out to 600 yards, or even further with the right set up.

Cut a throat for a cast bullet, and a good load will never have any paper left between the holes, meaning just one ragged hole!

The same goes for long necked cartridges like the 30-30, 30-40 Krag, 30-06 and others that are set up for shooting cast bullets. Some shoot fairly well with a factory throat, buy cut a cast bullet throat in them, and they will shoot the best they possibly can.

Me personally, I'm not a cast bullet shooter. Never have been and never will be. But, having said that, I made a 350 gr. mold over 30 years ago for my Ruger Super Blackhawk and it shot great and killed a lot of big, mean and nasty hogs in the Mississippi and Louisiana swamps.

So....... Since my little .45 does so well with jacketed bullets, I'm just going to keep everything as is!

I have a few cast bullets left, and if anyone is interested in them, let me know. I know they are accurate bullets, just not in my gun.

20200331_160449-1.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That throat could be it.
You know better than I do.
I would try and speed them up if you have not..
Did you try the same load as the jacketed 230gr that shot well.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This afternoon, I cranked the 230 gr. bullets to 1,200 fps., the 255 gr. bullets to 1,300 fps. and the 300 gr. gas checked bullets to 1,000 fps.. Everything was still a no-go!

Anybody wanting to test the bullets shown, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping. I have fired my last cast bullet!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis or swampratt - either of you guys have any interest in these bullets to see how they may shoot for you? I'll even pay the shipping cost to you, or I'll melt them down for casting jig heads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My light 200gr shot better than the heavies for me in cast.
I appreciate the offer but from my side----- melt away.
I have been hooked lately on a Cast Lee light weight 30 cal for mouse fart loads in a .308

Latest posts

Top Bottom