Cast vs Forged

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Dave was trying to impress us with his knowledge...

Imma tell ya something. Dave knows a lotta good stuff. But so does Dennis. I didn't know that about glass, being thicker at the bottom than the top I mean. About whether or not it flows; I have no idea and will likely ponder it for the remainder of the day. And like pokinfun, I have no idea how we got onto the topic of fat-bottom glass since the thread is about cast vs forged frames in the 1911...or so I thought. But then again , this IS OSA...I do know, however, about fat-bottom gir...(wife alert!)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it goes like this:

Known quantity production runs (like mightymouse discussed). For example, I'd snatch up a Norinco 1911 for the right price to use as a base before some big name manufacturers products
  • Know quality brands with specific production dates (goes back to know quantity production runs)
  • Materials used and specs
  • Forged preferable
  • Cast or MIM only from certain manufacturers.
So while I might take a Nork, Springer or Colt over a Ruger or S&W for a base gun, I might buy a Ruger or S&W 1911 as a near finished product before another (say, Kimber or Remington). IOW, whether it's cast or forged isn't anywhere near my top criteria, but it may be used to set my "in order of preference" lineup. :)

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Imma tell ya something. Dave knows a lotta good stuff. But so does Dennis. I didn't know that about glass, being thicker at the bottom than the top I mean. About whether or not it flows; I have no idea and will likely ponder it for the remainder of the day. And like pokinfun, I have no idea how we got onto the topic of fat-bottom glass since the thread is about cast vs forged frames in the 1911...or so I thought. But then again , this IS OSA...I do know, however, about fat-bottom gir...(wife alert!)
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-glass-is-a-liquid-myth-has-finally-been-destroyed-496190894
By studying a glob of 20 million-year-old amber, scientists have proven once and for all that glass does not flow.

Some people claim that stained glass windows in old churches are thicker at the bottom than at the top because glass flows slowly like a liquid. We’ve known this isn’t true for quite some time now; these windows are thicker at the bottom owing to the production process. Back during medieval times, a lump of molten glass was rolled, expanded, and flattened before being spun into a disc and cut into panes. These sheets were thicker around the edges and installed such that the heavier side was at the bottom.

Latest posts

Top Bottom