Catalpa Worms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if this is widespread, but when I went home for lunch I saw a Catalpa worm on the ground... then another, and another, and another. Ended up spending my whole lunch hour picking up worms to freeze for a later date. I have a big Catalpa tree in the backyard and assumed they were all coming off of it. I got to a soft spot in the yard where the dog lays and I noticed a worm half in the ground and half out. Started digging him up and there were about a dozen in that one spot underground. I have no idea what the life cycle of a Catalpa worm is, but I was very surprised to find them underground. That cool front came through last night and I don't know if that had any significance on why the worms were out on the ground, maybe the wind just blew them down from the tree.

Just thought you catfishermen might be interested...

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This brings back childhood memories. We called them cataba worms.Yellow and black with an antenna on their rear ends. Where I grew up in VA. ,the folks next door had two trees that stayed full of those worms every summer. They were great bait.

Latest posts

Top Bottom