Went fishing, no fish pics, but…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Three of us went to Cottonwood lake by Buena Vista today. Winds were howling 25-30 mph making it almost impossible to throw a fly, but we did manage to catch a dozen or so on dry flies.
Although the fishing was slow, we were covered up with moose.
When first arriving, we scouted the feeder stream in a couple spots. Cow and calf moose crossed the stream 50’ in front of us and nobody had their phone for a pic.
An hour or so later, the pair walked out into the marsh with the cow feeding by sticking her head underwater and eating whatever was there. The calf never fed like that so we figured it wasn’t weaned.

IMG_1826.jpeg
IMG_1817.jpeg

The cow fed for a couple hours and then wandered off.
Not long after, another cow came to a different part of the marsh to eat.

IMG_1833.jpeg

I started working my way down the bank looking for water we hadn’t fished when I heard a grunt behind me. At easy bow range was this young cow. It fed on willow leaves, looked at me and wandered off.

IMG_1837.jpeg
IMG_1838.jpeg

Finally at dusk when leaving, another cow moved into the marsh to eat.

IMG_1847.jpeg

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Ain’t nothing as dangerous as a mama moose with a calf but I’m sure you know this already. That would be quite the story, man killed by Moose in Buena Vista. A lot more people get hurt in Alaska by Moose than by Grizzlies. My ex girlfriend got chased by one but it missed her when she was able to dodge behind a tree. Damn it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who hasn't read Chuck Yeager's biography is missing out. When he was test piloting he'd see small mountain lakes and note their location. Then he'd later hop in a float plane or helicopter and go fish them. No telling how many lakes he fished and some probably hadn't ever been fished before, at least by white men. Talk about living the good life! Yeah he did it right!

Great pics Dennis...

Latest posts

Top Bottom