Caught Red Handed/Smoking Gun Evidence On Fast & Furious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/more-gunwa
More ‘Gunwalker’ Emails Suggest Gun-Control Conspiracy
July 15, 2011 - 8:46 am - by Bob Owens

AND THIS LINK:
http://www.americanthinker.com/2011...dar_target_of_operation_fast_and_furious.html
July 15, 2011
The Real 'Under the Radar' Target of Operation Fast and Furious
By Russ Vaughn

A ”smoking gun” email between ATF officials: "Bill – Can you see if these guns were all purchased from the same FfL and at one time. We are looking at anecdotal cases to support a letter on long gun multiple sales."

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Here's the email I sent to the reporter Liz Goodwin regarding her story linked above.

Ms. Goodwin,

I just read your story on the death of ICE Agent Zapata. It was fine until you wrote about Democratic Congressmen attempting to make straw purchases illegal and gun groups opposing this. It's been illegal since 1968 and the criminal law against it has been significantly underused by the U.S. Dept. of Justice for many years. The specific law is 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 § 922(C)(6). This law is a felony criminal law that carries a maximum sentence of not more than 10 years in prison and not more than $250,000 in fines. This information is readily available on page 6 of the BATFE Federal Firearms Regulations Guide, located here: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf I don't know of a single pro-gun group that opposes this law. The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) even partnered with the BATFE in a campaign called "Dont Lie For The Other Guy", specifically to draw attention to this law and the penalties it carries.

You should print a correction if you have any integrity as a journalist. You should also learn to research your subject matter more thorougly before printing such blatant misinformation. That is, if you ever want to be considered a competent journalist.

Regards,

Jerry D. Biggs

P.S. TPMMuckraker is not a credible news source. They've made you look foolish in this case. :(

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heh. I sent her one too. Here's mine:

Ms. Goodwin,

In regards to your article "Family of slain ICE agent says govt won’t release murder details".

I am outraged at the stonewalling by the DHS and want to thank you for having the courage to write this article. It seems that those who take an oath and put their lives on the line for this country are meaningless to some in our government these days. Once upon a time they were appreciated for what they do by the public at large and the government that they serve under.

But I must take exception to your statement that "gun groups" oppose the measure to make straw purchases a criminal offense. It already is a criminal offense and the law making it a criminal offense was supported by every gun rights organization that I'm aware of. Would you share with me just what gun groups ARE opposed to this?

I'll provide you with this link http://dontlie.org

Here is their “mission statement”:

Understanding the importance of cooperating with law enforcement, the firearms industry through the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) -- the industry's trade association -- has for nearly a decade partnered with the Department of Justice's (DOJ) Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and the Office of Justice Programs (OJP) to assist law enforcement in educating firearms retailers to be better able to identify and deter illegal straw purchases and to raise public awareness that straw purchasing is a serious crime.

Again, I'm simply appalled at the current actions of DOJ and BATFE with some of their actions of late. I'm a NRA member, staunch 2nd Amendment supporter and active in several shooting sports disciplines, traveling to several States each year to various functions. I can't name a single person, group or organization that I know of or have met that condones straw purchasing, with the exception of some from within our government agencies.

I eagerly await your response.

Regards,

Scott Hearn

I'll bet a 6 pack of Coronas neither one of us gets a response.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't have expected anyone to take it either. I just picked myself up from falling out of my chair when I saw her name in the email notification balloon that pops up in my systray.
This is what I got:

Hi Scott, thanks so much for your note. I added a clarification to the original article since I agree my original wording was misleading and confusing. Basically, the NRA and the Justice Department disagree over whether current laws are effective at putting straw purchasers behind bars. Democrats and the DOJ want a federal statute that specifically bans firearms trafficking, while the NRA argues that the existing web of laws are enough to prosecute illegal gun sellers. So anyway, I hope I made that clearer in the update I appended to the article. Thanks again,

Liz Goodwin
Yahoo! News
National Affairs Reporter

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. At least your email had some effect. The clarification sucks, but it's marginally better than the outright falsehood previously printed.

Well I have to assume that she saw yours too and probably had an Oh $h!* moment when you quoted the specific law.
As fast as she got back to me, I'm now thinking she probably doesn't get many responses to her articles.

I just love the way she ignored the fact that it's already a felony and provides zero context on why the NRA might oppose it.
Why don't just stack laws about 10 deep, then there will be no more crime? :rolleyes:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I came home and found a very nice personalized reply to my email too. I thanked her for the effort and for her willingness to make changes to her article. Before this I would have never thought you could change an article with a simple email. I hope she's not a rare exception though! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom