CCW renewal is a hassle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronin0829

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As of November 1, 2010 (effective date) the OSBI has according to Title 21:1290.12: 12. If the background check set forth in subsection 11 of this section reveals no records pertaining to the applicant, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall either issue a concealed handgun license or deny the application within sixty (60) days of the date of receipt of the applicant's completed application and the required information from the sheriff.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...but nothing herein contained shall prevent the Legislature from regulating the carrying of weapons.

Thank you for educating me about that wording in the state constitution. That does make it difficult.

I wonder when that language was added and why.

There are some deep anti-gun feelings in this state. I was surprised to run across some of Will Rogers' writings in which he rants about the terrible crimes being committed with the newly developed semi-automatic pistols. It was something along the lines of, "These new guns need to be outlawed. People are being killed as fast as the bad guy can pull the trigger."

Is Oklahoma fairly unique in having this kind of specific language in our constitution or do other states have the same?

If we are unique or close to it, then I'm going to speculate that the cause of the language is racism. It's pure speculation, but I can see the the historic Oklahoma legislature being fearful of the native Americans they were cheating out of their land holdings etc. The situation could have been very similar to the gun restrictions imposed on the freed slaves in the southern states after the Civil War. This is pure speculation but worth a little reading and investigation perhaps. Oklahoma gun regulation - a civil right denied.

(And yes, I'm aware of Will Rogers' native American heritage)

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's a link that gives all the "right to bear arms" provisions of the 50 states:

http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm

If you want to know more information about why Oklahoma's gun laws are what they are, check out this link:

http://www.guncite.com/court/state/97p260.html

In Ex parte Thomas the argument against the defendent (a black man) was that his weapon did not meet the criteria of being a "militia weapon". In a nutshell the decision was based on Jim Crow laws. For that matter, most all anti-gun legislation enacted in most states have roots in the Jim Crow laws.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Dutchwrangler.

I sifted through the state constitutions and see that many states are in conflict with the spirit of the founders as expressed in the Second Amendment.
8 state constitutions prohibit concealed carry
2 allow the bearing of weapons only for the common defense
6 reserve the right to regulate any form of carrying

An uphill battle given this and the prevailing public attitude that screening and licensing is good.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks, Dutchwrangler.

I sifted through the state constitutions and see that many states are in conflict with the spirit of the founders as expressed in the Second Amendment.
8 state constitutions prohibit concealed carry
2 allow the bearing of weapons only for the common defense
6 reserve the right to regulate any form of carrying

An uphill battle given this and the prevailing public attitude that screening and licensing is good.

You're welcome.

As you mentioned previously, most CCW holders don't care now that they have their little permission card from the state. Even more sad is that most gun owners are woefully ignorant of the history of bearing arms and the make up, purpose and duty of the militia. If you read closely, you notice that some states mention that "in times of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty". We now have a strong military (stronger than that which the people can muster) which is a contradiction to what just about every Founder believed. The militia has been regulated to being denigrated and viewed as outdated and the security of the confederation is no longer in the hands of the people, but of those who work for the government which is exactly the same situation the Founders faced with Britain. Guess we'll never learn from history.

Anywayz, it is what it is. In my opinion, the battle has already been lost.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Renewal right? OK CCW renewal, right?

No hassle at all, at least not for me. Fill in the name and address info. If nothing's changed since your last renewall or original application check that box off. Mail to OSBI with the fee and 2 weeks later you get your new CCW in the mail. That's how it worked for me anyway. That was 3 years ago though. Just got lucky maybe or the process takes longer now than then because there's more Okies renewing their permits.

EDIT: Just reviewed the application form. It's changed since I did my renewal. No more has anything changed since last application question. So I guess now one has to fill out the whole darn form each and every time one renews. Oh well you only have to do it once every 10 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom