CFE 223 Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is anyone using CFE 223 powder? I kind of stumbled into this deal blind - I had seen load data on the Hogden web site and then our small local gun & etc store posted that they had some in stock. I bought a pound and then got to reading more about it - I had not idea that "CFE" stands for "Copper Fouling Eraser". I guess the addition of tin & bismuth to remove/prevent copper fouling is and old concept that goes back to WWI era. I don't have fouling issues with either of my .223 rifles, but I seldom use my Mini-14 and my other .223 is an Interarms Mini-Mauser that gets no more than normal copper fouling. However, I recently acquired a used/like new Ruger American .22-250; I cleaned it before mounting a scope and the bore had about as much fouling as I have ever seen. In subsequent use I found the bore gets fouled pretty badly after about a dozen shots, so I'm guessing the bore is pretty rough.

My reading on the net seems to indicate CFE 223 does eliminate a lot of copper fouling, but accuracy in .223 is not as good as with some other powders. I have loaded some 40 grain .223 loads with Benchmark and CFE 223 to compare accuracy. I also loadaed some 55 grainers with CFE .22-250 to see how it works. I'm hoping it will help with the Ruger American's fouling issue and I think as I shoot it more the barrel will lap in a little also.

I have two other Ruger American rifles (.243 & .308) and could not ask for better accuracy, etc.

Any comments re: Hodgden CFE 223???

Cedar Creek

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's what I run through my 55 grain cheaper ammo (hornady bulk FMJ and wolf primers). It meters very well in a Dillon powder measure, and accuracy was well within acceptable limits for me. Out of my WOA SPR barrel with a factory trigger I got .796 MOA 5 shot group at 100 yards including a called flyer. Without the flyer it was .49 MOA. Not bad for cheap ammo bulk loaded on a progressive.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds good! I hope the weather is favorable tomorrow afternoon to go shooting; might be pretty windy for a few days. I'm ready for the deer hunters to thin out so I can get back to calling coyotes.

Cedar Creek

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Copper fouling is generally not a big problem for me. My little Mini-Mauser doesn't get much copper left in the bore, but then once I get it sighted in after putting its original scope back in it probably won't fire over 20 rounds a year. If I shoot it more than that, the coyotes are having a bad year.

I'm hoping it helps with the Ruger American .22-250. So far it looks like it will need cleaning after every few rounds, where my '69 vintage Remington 700 .22-250 gets cleaned every few years.
:anyone:

Cedar Creek

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot .223 rounds loaded with CFE 223 and Benchmark with 40 grain bullets - it was pretty windy, but Benchmark seems more accurate in my little bolt rifle. I loaded 33 more rounds with 40 grain Midway blem bullets over 27 grains of Benchmark - if I get a nice day I might do a final zero check at the range, but otherwize it looks like I'm set with this rifle/load combination for the year.

My Ruger American shot pretty well with CFE 223 powder and 55 grain Remington soft point bullets. Haven't cleaned the bore yet, but it looks like that will be my coyote load for that rifle this winter. Hoping the CFE phenomenon helped with fouling - I fired 8 rounds with CFE 223 and plan to clean the bore tomorrow afternoon when all the ruckus from Christmas/children/grandchildren clears out around her.

Cedar Creek

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are three New IMR powders out with cfe tech 4166 , 4451 , 7977 that will cover over 41 cartridges , the hodgdon 2015 annual manual has 3 write ups on them

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cleaned the bore on my .22-250 today after firing 8 rounds loaded with CFE 223 and a 55 grain bullet. It had been fired a few times using Varget before I shot it with the CFE 223. I still had quite a bit of carbon fouling, but I didn't get any traces of copper fouling. Pretty short sample, but I guess it works on copper fouling. I have 30+ more cases in my old Vibra Tech ready to be processed and loaded with 55 grain R-P bullets over CFE 223 - looks like I've found a new friend!

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom