Cheaper than dirt sucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker here but I wanted to throw up another Cheaper than Dirt sucks thread. My only hope is to add to the array of threads already out there so people are well informed. Fortunately, I didn't get screwed like a lot of folks seem to have but just wanted to comment on their crappy customer service. Seems to me that an internet based company would understand the power of the internet to make or break their business...

In short, I've been keeping an eye out for a cz pcr for a while. Damn things seem to sell like hot cakes because every time I hit a site, they are sold out/back ordered, etc. So it was with some curiosity that Cheaper Than Dirt pops up as having 9 PCRs in stock. So I took the time to call them to confirm this unicorn was indeed there and available for my purchase. A somewhat bitchy lady who seemed bothered by the call, told me that if it's on their website, then they have it and if they didn't have it, it wouldn't be on their website. Good! I promptly forget the rudeness log in and hit the ol' submit button with a quickness. Order accepted, credit card charged, daddy has a new toy.

Two days later I get an email that said my order was canceled due to depleted inventory. Really... After taking the time to call and confirm and being scolded for not trusting their website's inventory, they don't have my pretty new CZ. But I understand glitches can happen and I was more interested in the good price and free shipping than having it the next day so I shot an email to another lady who after some exchange basically told me tough sh.t. Anyway, without the boring you guys any more, I was pretty irritated at having now dealt with two snarky customer service reps who had absolutely no interest in anything related to customer service. At least after a few days, I did get a refund on my credit card without having to fight for it.

So the final word on cheaper than dirt is that you may or may not get what you ordered (many haven't apparently) but if you need to actually get help from them, you would have a better chance looking for a snowball in hell.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds extremely similar to my experience with them. Never again... treat me like I'm an annoyance for trying to give your company money? **** off, b****.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did you refresh the website anytime between when you saw the item in stock, to when you placed the call, and before you placed the order?

Hucksaw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You did all the right things, Sorry it didn't work out.The few times I have dealt with CTD it has worked out OK. I always try to find an alternative, though. I'll go elsewhere even if it costs a little more. Good luck on the pcr...Next time I would buy first and then ask questions. It's a hassle to stop payment on a credit card, but not that big of deal.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not just Cheaper than dirt.
A lot of those companies inventory they call "live", but in reality they only update (refresh) once every 2 or 4 hours.
I'll call a wholesaler and confirm they got the item, only to get an email notice they are out.
Mainly because the person your talking to is in an office somewhere and isn't about to go out to the warehouse and look. Its not worth their time, there's a half dozen people on hold that will buy it if you don't.

A classic example is Moteng. Several people on here order from them. Their sales office is in California and the warehouse is in Arizona. All they can do is rely on that computer until somebody tries to pull the order.

More than likely CTD's order/customer service is an answering service. Most of the biggies farm that out to some other company. Hell, the next person after you may have been calling about a blender or womens clothes.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. What I'm finding the more I look, basically these online retailers are just publishing the inventories of whatever their suppliers say they have or have allocated. I doubt they stock much of anything. They sell it and it gets drop-shipped from whatever of "their" warehouses has it. I'm really not too worried about that business model (except that they are just playing middle men to extract some extra coin without adding any value like having a personal relationship with a reseller). My normal FFL guy who is pretty good about find things didn't have one accessible but he isn't a big time reseller or gun store. The big thing here is just the complete lack of "give a damn" about a customer. I do appreciate you guys thoughts as it just confirms my gut for me. Good news is, it was somewhat of a frivolous purchase anyway which I've since redirected it to enough off-grid electrical capacity to run our well for a reasonable amount of time (spending some wifey birthday good will)!

More than likely CTD's order/customer service is an answering service. Most of the biggies farm that out to some other company. Hell, the next person after you may have been calling about a blender or womens clothes.

Lol'ed about this one. Co-workers looking at me weird!

Latest posts

Top Bottom