Scammers suck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A background: I am a Hilton Honors Diamond status and have been for years. That really means nothing other than I travel too much for work.

So I am sitting this afternoon working away and I get an email confirming that I booked a hotel room in NYC for tonight. Then I received another one saying I used 61,000 points to book it. That is obviously a lot of points.

I called the Hilton hotel and also the 800 number and they were great. They took care of everything and even told the guy to pound sand when he received the cancellation notice and called to rebook. The local hotel even called me back to let me know he tried to rebook. Props to Hilton.

My question is, how the heck did someone get my login and PW? I am super secure on that stuff and he obviously had to get onto my account to book something. I wonder if Hilton had a data breach and never told me.

Either way, I hate scammers and I hope they get crabs.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had similar experiences twice, and like you, all involved were very quick to correct things, but the occurrences of this type of crime seems to be growing and there does not appear to be successful ways of preventing.

But, you can say you hit NYC this evening.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is what I thought. I stayed in the Midwest last week and wonder if someone from that hotel used my info.
It happens all the freaking time. We just hear about very few cases. I remember a few years ago a girl at a department store was running people’s debit/credit cards for them and taking a pic of the front and back of the card really quick with her phone. Then using the card months later as to not draw suspicion to her. People like that need publicly flogged

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m on the side of it being an “inside job”. Really sorry you got hit, at least it sounds like everyone took care of you. I was scammed once in Minneapolis on a business trip. Got home and my credit card company calls me asking if I rented a U Haul in New York. (What is it with New York?). I said I’d never been to New York and they got everything canceled and squared away. I can stand thieves and liars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom