Chevy Tahoe 100k maintenance questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure someone here on OSA could give me some input regarding the 100k maintenance that's about due for my 2008 Tahoe that I bought used a few years ago. My father previously owned the Tahoe brand new and did all the service at a dealership.

I like to be a DIY mechanic as much as possible. I definitely plan to do spark plugs, wires, belts, and replace fluids in the transfer case and diffs. What I'm trying to figure out is on the tranny and engine coolant.

I reviewed the service records that I could find (believe some are missing though). It's had two tranny flushes. I suspect the tranny filter has never been replaced, so I plan to replace that. I figure I'll just top off the tranny fluid and not worry about a true flush.

I can't find any service records of coolant flush, but I think my father would have done it. The coolant inside the overflow tank looks very clean and I don't see any residue or fluid contamination. Do you think it would adequate enough to just drain the radiator and bottom hose? I am not too excited about trying to do a flush by putting a tee into the heater hose, then guess what kind of water / coolant mixture to do. Any input?

Thanks.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should say in the manual. My 09' Silverado has 80k and all I've done is change the oil. If you're worried about it, just change all the fluids and filters, grease the joints, WD40 the doors, check the hoses and belts for cracks.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I did with my 09' Envoy right about 100k (had 80k when I got it) was change out the Dexcool for the green, but I did a total flush to do it.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I confirmed my owners manual shows 100k for replacing spark plugs.

For those that DIY at home, how did you do the total flush on the coolant? Use the tee in the heater hose?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not run tap water through it.
Pull the lower hose and drain then you can get crafty with a shop vacuum that is blowing and blow the coolant out of the block through the upper hose if the thermostat is removed.
I agree with going Green .. That dexcool (Orange) is great stuff until you get any air in the system then you are screwed as it will quickly make rust.

I change coolant in all my vehicles at least every 2 years.. some vehicles get a summer mix and a different winter mix (hot rods).

Keep all oils off the hoses.. never apply WD40 to rubber products as it will degrade them.
Wife's 95 corolla still has all original hoses and they look and feel good as new. 280,000 miles on it.

Power wash engine at every oil change and to avoid the transmission flushes I pull the trans drain plug every other oil change (6000 miles drain trans).

It only drains 3 quarts..
I like to pull spark plugs at 20,000 miles or sooner and inspect.
If people would do this in the ford Mod engine the plugs would not get stuck.

I feel 100,000 is a long time for a plug to be twisted into the hole.. The plug may be fine .. Heck i never replaced the Motorcraft plugs in my 79 mustang inline 6.
But i did pull and clean them often.. that car went 376,000 miles and the Fox body just fell apart around the engine and trans.

Latest posts

Top Bottom