Chili

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does chili have beans in it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up when oil and gas was worthless, my Texan mother used to stretch the chili budget with kidney beans. Everytime we had chili, it was a pound if beef, two large cans beans, chili powder and water.

Skip forward to the now, I made a bunch of my moms chili for a little Red River get together, and the bean debate raged all evening. These Texans swore beans didn't belong in chili, but mine is a Texas recipe. I stoked that fire by stating that beanless chili is just hot dog sauce. It got heated in the most hilarious way.

Just about the only thing we all agreed on was, tomatoes/salsa is only found in flavorless yankee chili, and white chili is just spicy chicken soup.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chili does not have beans in it, yet beans should really have chili in them. Chili never met a tomato, but tomato stew really should have chili in it. Chili contains no vegetables other than peppers, but stew should definitely contain chili.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not going to say who might have been guilty, but when cooking chili or BBQ in competition, one must take into consideration what the average judge that is just a local celebrity may like.
Chili purist say no beans, average Joe likes beans in their chili.
Someone may have puree’d some chili beans and mixed them with the chili before presentation to the judges.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not going to say who might have been guilty, but when cooking chili or BBQ in competition, one must take into consideration what the average judge that is just a local celebrity may like.
Chili purist say no beans, average Joe likes beans in their chili.
Someone may have puree’d some chili beans and mixed them with the chili before presentation to the judges.
Those judges should just as well kiss my ass. They don't belong around here any way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom