Chili

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does chili have beans in it?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won the Campus Chili Cook-Off at 3 different colleges. I am a master at making chili, if I do say so myself. Good-Eatin’ Chili can be made with or without beans, it boils down to the individual’s choice. I prefer it with pinto beans, home cooked; none of that crap in a can for me. Chili must have white or yellow onions, jalapeños, serranos, and poblanos in it. It may have habaneros or similar heaters, if you really like a little fire. It must have cumin. Use freshly ground black pepper. I use coarsely ground sirloin, and if you wanna know the real secret to my success in capturing and retaining my title, I’ll tell you that there are two main things that made my chili stand up to the judges time and time again:
1. Heat.
My chili is hot. I man H.O.T. hot. If chili isn’t hot; hot enough to bead up your forehead with drops of sweat and burn your lips and tongue, well, you just got yourself a bowl of bean soup. You want people to gasp and say something like “holy crap!” Or “Jeebus!” You want people to be worried about the morning-after effect. But if they dive on in regardless, *****in’ and sweatin’ and wipin’ thier nose as they scarf it down, you done good.
2. Secret ingredient:
For a good sized crock pot, cut up 3 Hot Links into slices about 1/4” thick, sauté them in a pan till browned, almost blackened even, then add them to the chili and let it cook for a few more hours. I use Braums Hot Links cause they’re the best.

At the competitions, I’d always surround my pot with yellow caution tape, make people sign a waiver, and have a big jar of Tums next to the pot for immediate aid, if the unsuspecting taster should require it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, I got indigestion just reading your description. I'm sure it's good and all, but I do not have the stomach for super spicy food like that. [emoji38]

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds to me the next ENS needs to be a chili cook off.

I’m in! Now we just need a location. A place with electricity we can use. Any and everyone interested please do some scouting around for a suitable location and let’s do this! We can set the date after we determine the site.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I got indigestion just reading your description. I'm sure it's good and all, but I do not have the stomach for super spicy food like that. [emoji38]

You don’t have to eat a lot of it, just enough to taste and then cast your ballot.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never stayed at a hotel with a make your own waffle thing in the room, I’m callin’ BS on this!

NOT in the room. The better hotels have them in their "breakfast area." Used them when we were working in Indiana this summer. Waffles were pretty good, but they keep the butter (in itty-bitty containers) in the freezer/fridge, so I always took the lid off the container (contains metal on some) and popped them in the microwave for about 8 to 10 seconds. Then they spread pretty well across the waffle.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Based on Joel's description of his chili, his pot of chili needs to be one of the targets at the EnS.

I want good tasting chili where I can taste the beans and the meat, not hot peppers.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on Joel's description of his chili, his pot of chili needs to be one of the targets at the EnS.

I want good tasting chili where I can taste the beans and the meat, not hot peppers.

Oh taste is number one. My chili tastes excellent but again, it is NOT bean soup. I can do up a separate batch of geriatric style chili for you older folks, so as not to overload your ... well...depends.

Latest posts

Top Bottom