Chokes for Pheasant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason kitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been hunting pheasant for the last 20 years, every year. heres my 2 cents.
what i use MOD Barrel , 4's warm weather ( they get up further ie. longer shots.

colder the weather tighter they hold you can get away with 5, 6 and 71/2. still using MOD choke. same with pen raised birds

but all this being said i use 4's all the time if they get up close let them fly a little, then pop them.

Kitch

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went on the pheasant hunt yesterday. Ended up being a very fun time. I used 12 ga. improved with #6 shot. Worked really well for me. Only had 1 get away from me. It was a little bit out of my range, but I had to take a shot at it. I personally took 7. Our group of 10 guys got 78 combined. We hunted with a place called ringnecks of yoestown in Alma, AR. Great people. I would definitely recommend them and would go back.

toe

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had another successful pheasant hunt in KS Controlled Shooting Area. We got 34 pheasants and 2 quails between four of us. My combo of 20 ga, #6 shot, modified choke was pretty good and light to carry all day.

BTW Question for you Toe. On that place in AR, how many birds do they put out for you guys? I saw their website and they mention 10 birds per person. What does that mean?

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TTT,

The way they did it was for each person hunting, they put released 10 birds per person. Now, you may not shoot all 10, but they put 10 in the field for you. For our group, we had two groups of 5. The guys would put out 5 birds for each person 25 total in the field. Then, the guides would take their dogs and work the field. It was probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile long field. You worked down one side and then came back up the other. The first time through, that group got 15 of the 25 birds released. Once they were back, the guides would go release another 25 birds. The second group of 5 hunters worked the field. This process was repeated until all 100 birds were released. After this, the guide took those who were interested out another time through the thicker cover to try and cleanup the birds that were missed in the previous 4 sweeps of the field. So, if you went with the minimum of two hunters, you would be guaranteed that there would be 20 birds for you to hunt, but not necessarily guaranteed that you would shoot all 20. Craig the owner was a real nice guy and his dogs were great for this type of hunting. Anyway, I hope this helps. If not, let me know and I'll try again.

toe

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Toe.

My friends and I are always interested in different places. Our trip was basically a fee that included full day hunt, lunch, and four birds. Additional pheasants are $10/piece and quails are $5/piece. This sounds like a pretty cool setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom