Chrono'd some .22Mag loads today with NAA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As promised in another thread, I got a new Chrony F1 for Christmas. I went out to the land today and tried some various .22Mag through my NAA with 1-5/8 inch barrel.

Federal 50 grain GameShoks=650fps average

Winchester PDX-1 40 grain =968fps average

Hornady CD 45 grain =925fps average

When shot through water jugs last summer the Federal did not expand, both the Winchester and Hornady did open up just a bit, but not much.

Note: this is not to advocate the use of a .22Mag for self-defense. It is just data. Use it however you want. Personally, I believe the NAA just doesn't give enough velocity to be a reliable stopper. I still would like to chrono some out of a KelTec PMR-30 to see how much the extra barrel length would add to velocity.

I also shot some Hornady Zombie .45ACP 185 grains, got around 825fps with them.

Hornady CD Light .38 Special with 90 grain bullets averaged in the 960's through a Ruger LCR.

Hornady CD .38 Special with the 110 grain bullets averaged about the same as the 90 grainers. There was a definite reduction of recoil and report with the Lights, as claimed by Hornady. I bought these for my wife. She's shot the 110 grains and they hurt her hand. Mine too for that matter. The 90 grainers are a bit more pleasant, but still not exactly fun. For fun loads I've got some 125 grain cast bullets loaded over 3.2 grains of TiteGroup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom