Cimarron county Antelope hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you run into many other hunters on public land? I'm sure we'll check out the public land too.

The public land is comprised of a bunch of blocks of land, none really too large, so you can pretty much see if someone else is on it. I drove around a lot and found a group then put the stalk on. Several other did this. The antelope seem like they come out of no where, they move around a lot, so if you do not see some at first, just keep looking and driving. You need good binocs for sure.
I did see others sit in a blind all day around the windmills.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went in 2007, got permission from a guy to hunt his place, when I showed up the morning of, he had given permission to 2 other people and it was worthless. Drove around the rest of the day and anything I saw, I couldn't get close or there was already another group. Next morning at the cafe the waitress told me to go to the bank and talk with the president, he took me in his office and showed me a map of all his property and to shoot as many as I want (they hate them). So, finally spot some on his property right off the highway headed to felt. I belly crawled for over 2 hours and 400 yards through a winter wheat field full of goat heads. the doe popped up when I was just over 350 yards away......dropped her, I would have cried if I missed the shot after all that work.

My advice, be prepared to work for it, good chance you'll be crawling a lot. Have a bipod and make sure you can hit something from 300 yards. Also, I had to throw away my clothes because of all the stickers in them and I was pulling thorns out of my arms for well over a week. I'd crawl 5-10' and stop and have to rip the shirt away from my arm to get the goat heads loose.

In the end, it was by far my most difficult hunt, but also my memorable. I'm headed back mid October to do a buck bow hunt. It's "semi guided", meaning the guy meets me at the gate and says here's your 2k acres to hunt on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went in 2007, got permission from a guy to hunt his place, when I showed up the morning of, he had given permission to 2 other people and it was worthless. Drove around the rest of the day and anything I saw, I couldn't get close or there was already another group. Next morning at the cafe the waitress told me to go to the bank and talk with the president, he took me in his office and showed me a map of all his property and to shoot as many as I want (they hate them). So, finally spot some on his property right off the highway headed to felt. I belly crawled for over 2 hours and 400 yards through a winter wheat field full of goat heads. the doe popped up when I was just over 350 yards away......dropped her, I would have cried if I missed the shot after all that work.

My advice, be prepared to work for it, good chance you'll be crawling a lot. Have a bipod and make sure you can hit something from 300 yards. Also, I had to throw away my clothes because of all the stickers in them and I was pulling thorns out of my arms for well over a week. I'd crawl 5-10' and stop and have to rip the shirt away from my arm to get the goat heads loose.

In the end, it was by far my most difficult hunt, but also my memorable. I'm headed back mid October to do a buck bow hunt. It's "semi guided", meaning the guy meets me at the gate and says here's your 2k acres to hunt on.

that's some dedication! Heck of a job to get your speed goat. :D

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to a guy from Boise City today. Just to test the waters, I asked if I could hunt antelope on his family's land. He said of course you can. They tear up to much fence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom