City wide fire after SHTF.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like many others are committed to a bug in strategy for as long as possible. I honestly don't have a lot of places to go. Has anyone else every considered that there will be a huge fire in our city after the power goes out? Every one of our neighbors will be cooking, boiling and otherwise playing with fire in the back yard. I'm not sure how long we are going to last before a huge fire breaks out and the wind just whips it all over.

Any plans for this? I think we need to be ready to move in a 10 minute time frame. Really think about what we will pack and what we will leave behind.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have made no preparation for avoiding the fire. Though my "spot" might be kinda safe for me. I also havnt planned because I plan on starting said fire.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my plan is to either urinate or vomit on it. That should work.

Oh, wait, that only works on Colorado rapists.

Sorry.

Dave

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are living rural in a rock house with a steel roof and steel barn. Still have a couple big cotton woods close to the house that could be an issue if they fell badly but I'm working on em as can.

skycitadel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
how do firefighters contain a fire on one structure from moving to another? I know its possible to keep your yard and area clear of flamables but when your neighbors house is on fire and it is only 8 or 10 feet away how do you keep the embers from blowing on your house?

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you keep the embers from blowing on your house?
The answer is you don't. I read a pretty decent book last summer, one of Joe Nobody's called Holding Their Own, this was the first of the trilogy. The book takes place in Houston TX, after an economic collapse the infrastructure breaks down slowly, city water being one of those after the power grid failed. Once the fires got started, for what ever reason, the city just burned. It's a pretty good book, if you like this kind of reading. I like them because they open up your mind to possibilities one might not have considered before.

Now for a true story, I have a friend that has a lake home in the Lake Tahoe area. Several years ago there were forest fires that swept through that region. City ordinances prohibit a home owner from disturbing anything 'natural'. This means you can't even rake up the pine needles that fall on your property around your house. Talk about a bunch of tree huggers! The story I was told that one homeowner in a threatened neighborhood disobeyed the ordinance and raked his yard out 100' in all directions from the house. When the fires came, his house was the only one left standing. That is what defied logic with these liberal tree huggers. Think of all the trees that were burned, think of all the trees that will be harvested to rebuild those homes that were burnt down. There is no logic with these people, only passion. Their passion will likely destroy this country.

pbaumei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
buy at least 10 acres and put your house in the middle. radius of clearing at least as wide as tallest tree height along perimeter. install yard irrigation system from tanks from gutters, and put well pump on generator. stone house with tile roof preferred.

Latest posts

Top Bottom