Civil War began 150 ago today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a

• Johnny Reb?

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • Billy Yank?

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Great-Great grandfather joined the Union Army at the age of 13 to be a drummer boy,we still have his drum that he used .He was born in Syracuse,Ny and finally ended up farming years later in Girard,Ks.Its some great history to know and being able to own something that far back...

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the risk of starting a "flame war" on here, I do believe the South was right in their belief they had the right to secede from the Union based on the original intent of our framers of the Constitution. The original 13 states were VERY wary of a central government with too much power and wanted states rights to be respected. This was very evident during the discussions leading up to the crafting and adoption of the Constitution....

At any rate, bulbboy put it best above when quoting......... NO WINNERS......

OKgetdown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For something that defined the future of the republic, The Civil War sure gets oversimplified in history class and normal conversation. So much to it. As for the question at hand.....yes, the South had valid points in states rights. But I think history has proven that preserving the union was correct.

And the question of slavery WAS NOT something that Lincoln or the north was willing to go to war over. The northerns were just as social conscience of race as southerners. The real question was the expansion of slavery into the future western territories and how that would effect economic competition if there were two or more countries. But thats hard to oversimplify into a few paragraphs for history class.......

Or at least thats my take of it...

DarylBruce

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Harley1953 is spot on.

Slavery was indeed the catalyst that help fuel the War of Southern Independence. But most Johnny Rebs were not slave owners so I can only surmise that there were other issues on their minds.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I think history has proven that preserving the union was correct.

Probably so.....or was it? We'll never really know for sure how things could have turned out.

Seems like the Civil War period is when abuses of the Constitution seemed to start, though I don't know much about it. Just from things I've read. Didn't Lincoln take a few liberties?

OKgetdown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably so.....or was it? We'll never really know for sure how things could have turned out.

Seems like the Civil War period is when abuses of the Constitution seemed to start, though I don't know much about it. Just from things I've read. Didn't Lincoln take a few liberties?
Took a few liberties is an understatement! Suspension of Habius Corpus. Permitting the atrocities of Shermans March to the Sea, ect. No Doubt. But a loose confederation of nations may not have worked real well IMO. We all have complaints about our nation. But united we have achieved much. But I take your point. We dont really know.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been watching Ken Burns' documentary on the Civil War lately. A historian mentions at one point that Jeff Davis lamented over the powers that Lincoln had, as the Confederacy was not only leary of Washington but of centralized power even in Richmond.

It also mentions that Northern support of the war waned when they felt that they were no longer fighting for "Union", but for the abolition of slavery. The Emancipation Proclamation, for all it is given credit for, was actually pretty weak, as it basically just freed the slaves in Southern territory not under Union control. Northern border states where slavery existed and Southern territory occupied by Union soldiers was exempt from the order. That's like the US trying to outlaw something in Canada - it's impossible to enforce.

Latest posts

Top Bottom