Civil War began 150 ago today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you a

• Johnny Reb?

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • Billy Yank?

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

Sentenza

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been watching Ken Burns' documentary on the Civil War lately. A historian mentions at one point that Jeff Davis lamented over the powers that Lincoln had, as the Confederacy was not only leary of Washington but of centralized power even in Richmond.

Ken Burns' treatment of the Civil War is highly engaging. It's hard to stop watching it once you start. I think I'll start the series again tonight. This will be my third round. I have the Sullivan Ballou letter on my MP3 player and listen to it at least once a week. It brings a lump to my throat pretty much every time I hear it.

I don't know that it's as popular a treatment in the deep south as it is elsewhere. The southerners I've talked with about it feel it's slanted to a Northern perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What alot of folks don't know, is that if the southern forces had been controlled better at the first battle of Manassas, the Civil War would have been over. The CSA routed the Army of the Potomac, and had the DC in their sights, but didn't follow through.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember early in the Civil War when my family land was compromised by some soldiers, my sister in law called us all frantic like and me and pops hopped on our trusty steeds, strapped to the hilt, my pop being a reserve sergeant and all, and hustled over there, by the time we got there my sis had one of the soldiers cordoned off in a back bedroom and we busted in, guns drawn, I had the drop on him as he bailed out the window but I let him go, I didn't want to risk being court martialed again, I had it happen before during an accident at the armory where I shot myself and it wasn't fun. Anyway, the next day we installed guinea hens to warn of any future intrusions.

Sorry, couldn't help it!

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kin didn't own slaves; wouldn't have 'em even if they could have afforded them. They joined the war when some damn Yankees stole what they could carry, destroyed what they couldn't haul, and burned the house, barns, and fields.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My kin didn't own slaves; wouldn't have 'em even if they could have afforded them. They joined the war when some damn Yankees stole what they could carry, destroyed what they couldn't haul, and burned the house, barns, and fields.

Hey Virgil? Virgil Cain? Is that you?

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom