Close Pistol Combat...a reality of CCW holders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toss em your keys, shopping bag, wallet etc.. whatever you have in your off hand, at the same time getting off the X screaming please man don't hurt me I have a family while drawing. Get inside the OODA loop short circuit their ability to act and go to town.

Never quit.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toss em your keys, shopping bag, wallet etc.. whatever you have in your off hand, at the same time getting off the X screaming please man don't hurt me I have a family while drawing. Get inside the OODA loop short circuit their ability to act and go to town.

Never quit.

See above. He's probaly scared sh*tless too...so take advantage of it and seize control.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the theorizing about "which part" the shooter is going to hit leaves me a bit bemused. It varies from the beginner woman who wants to just shoot them in the arm to the mall ninja who is "going for the spine."

The target on a wagon related above reminds me of a favorite trick: when the shooter is all loaded and the gun is on the shelf at the firing line on the indoor range with the target at about 20 feet, I without warning start the target traveling and and start screaming in his ear "He's coming to get you! SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT NOW HE"S GOT A KNIFE SHOOT HIM HE"S GOING TO GET YOU!!!!

Most are lucky if they hit anything before the gun is empty, much less their procliamed favorite part.

Surprise, panic, tunnel vision, means shoot COM as soon and often as possible. If not restricted on a firing line, MOVE SIDEWAYS.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something, but why is a loaded pistol laying on a shelf at the firing line on an indoor range? It's rather easy to put, say three rounds, aroundyhe xyphoid process/center of mass from approx three feet from a one hand combat stance (compressed one handed fightig stance, pretty much as soon as the pistol levels in your draw stroke).

Bettingpython is right. Getting inside the OODA loop/ widening their OODA loop would help.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something

What you missed is the whole point that when an inexperienced shooter is totally surprised, they panic.

An experienced shooter who practices regularly will react and fall to the level of his training--not rise to the level of his expectations.

It's all pretty easy when there is no real danger and the pressure is off.
I agree with Bettingpython, including trying to include all the movement, diversion and vocalizations when training, if possible.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you missed is the whole point that when an inexperienced shooter is totally surprised, they panic.

An experienced shooter who practices regularly will react and fall to the level of his training--not rise to the level of his expectations.

It's all pretty easy when there is no real danger and the pressure is off.
I agree with Bettingpython, including trying to include all the movement, diversion and vocalizations when training, if possible.

What I actually was referring to was the saftey issue of having a loaded pistol, lying on a shelf, on the firing line and then yelling at an inexperienced shooter to shoot. Obviously I wasn't there and I'm sure you made it safe, but on the Internet where words fall short it sounds like a bad idea.
I agree with the cliche about falling to the level of your training, mostly. I Would go further to say that not all inexpierenced shooters panic when surprised, and not all 'expierenced shooters' preform well under stress and surprise. I believe that stress innoculation also plays an important part of the equation.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on the Internet where words fall short it sounds like a bad idea.

Point taken. Certainly we don't do that on day one, and the shock treatment is reserved for PIA that disrupt an NRA Pistol class with their ideas on "winging the varmit" or "one to the hip."

However, the original reason I posted on this thread is that the words iin the other posts were "falling short on the internet" making it sould like any shooter should be able to place his shots in an attacker in any chosen location. Such is hard for a practiced expert and nearly impossible for the average CCW shooter. I strongly suspect that the average CCW shooter seldon takes marksmanship classes and almost nevers trains in any combat course. And if they don't train, well..............:o

Or maybe it's just in Altus that some people think having testicals makes them fully qualified for combat pistol and training is for sissies....:D

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I actually was referring to was the saftey issue of having a loaded pistol, lying on a shelf, on the firing line and then yelling at an inexperienced shooter to shoot. Obviously I wasn't there and I'm sure you made it safe, but on the Internet where words fall short it sounds like a bad idea.
I agree with the cliche about falling to the level of your training, mostly. I Would go further to say that not all inexpierenced shooters panic when surprised, and not all 'expierenced shooters' preform well under stress and surprise. I believe that stress innoculation also plays an important part of the equation.

You should see what TDSA or USSA does with rank beginners in 2 days if you are worried about safety, I have seen people go from barely knowing how to load a firearm to drawing and shooting from the holster while on the move and making their hits while under as much pressure as can realistically be brought to bear on them. Not once did I feel unsafe either on the firing line or behind the firing line. Stress inoculation and realistic training does work, falling to your lowest level of training is not a cliche' its a reality, I don't have any gunfight experience but I have had a fair portion of unarmed and armed conflicts in the past and learned some hard lessons about training realities in my time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom