Closer look at the Magpul AK Magazine (8 pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys sure are hard on "Crapco"; I thought ProMags were supposed to be the most craptastic magazines ever produced?

(For the record, I don't own any Tapco mags, either)

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys sure are hard on "Crapco"; I thought ProMags were supposed to be the most craptastic magazines ever produced?

(For the record, I don't own any Tapco mags, either)

I've one Tapco AK mag, and it has never broken on me. I've had five (5) Pro-Mag AK mags that ALL cracked at their feed lips on me. Garbage...pure garbage.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is where I'm at. I own 12 waffle mags and 8 U.S. Palm mags. While I like the U.S. Palm mags, I would have definitely liked the option of the magpuls to test/run against. Especially at half the cost. At the price of the magpuls, if I need any more AK mags in the future, I will definitely be buying some.

US Palm mags were on sale forever at $15 and $20 respectively at Primary Arms

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had actually planned to avoid these magazines and wait for the steel reinforced version.

After speaking to Steve Fisher, formerly of Magpul dynamics, I decided to buy a couple and run them. First, this gets more of those magazines out into the wild. Any deficiencies identified can therefore be corrected theoretically make steel reinforced magazines that much better when they go live. Second, I think I am more comfortable with these verses the US Palm magazines. They have a much thinner overall profile and despite not having a metal reinforcement the front back, the engagement surfaces are much larger.

I need to get a few more as I had planned to run set of five in my magazine rotation. I think they will be excellent training magazines for the money and a good value.

Ek

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have all tapco mags for my ak. They are fine. I would like some pmags but not until the steel reinforced ones come out. But I am certain they will do the job. I ain't planning on ever being in combat. I don't know what some of you guys expect out of a mag? I am sure circle 10's are great but in my opinion they are severely overpriced. They aren't that much better than the rest. I think a bunch of people that haven't even used tapco's bad mouth them. There are a lot of people out there that love them, I am one of them. They have never let me down.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they make the locking points metal as well as reinforce the feed lips they'll have a winner even if they charge $2-3 more per mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom