CMMG m4 drop in 22lr kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New here, No real name for myself yet, but wanted to share an experience i had today.

I traded earlier in the week for a nice little DPMS M4gery and ran it through its paces. Shot good, clean and no complaints. Had a CMMG kit in my garage for awhile that I hadnt messed with cause I only have one other AR-15 and I leave it setup for coyote/big kitty duty with my chickens/goats etc. well i dropped it in tonight after soaking it in CLP over night, then drying and lubing with rem oil. Popped 25 rounds of WWB, all went bang flawlessly, loaded 25 CCI stinger, again all went bang flawlessly, loaded 25 subsonics. 24/25 went bang with a FTE on 23 racked it and life was good again.
I was just dirt shooting so no comment on accuracy, but i didn't notice any extreme flyers out to 30-50 yds.

Seems like a great tool for teaching my youngest daughter the firearm and the muscle memory for the weapon for everyone. Plus since it fire subs somewhat reliably will be good for garden guard duty :)

Not an in-depth review I know, but for anyone thinking of buying this vs another "cheap" 22. I say go for it. its fun, has a practical use, and its fun shooting without thinking dang i just missed 3 times thats $2 down the drain.

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My CMMG is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Also very reliable, but I didn't get full reliability until I switched to the 4th gen Black Dog mags. Ones with steel feed lips. Now I can't remember the last failure of any kind. All I use is bulk amm and clean after every use.

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did notice tonight when i took it back out, I tried some win super x and had a couple bad stove pipes with one getting stuck in the bolt, after that it shot like crap, but it hink i need to sand the magazine down some. and get one of the black dog drums and some mags. A blast to shoot. did some accuracy testing today 2-2.5" groups at 50 yds with irons and standing. (im also currently partially disabled) so it shoots as good if not better than me.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is some pretty good groups. How many rounds for your 2.5" group?
I usually shoot the whole 25rd mag for my groups and I'm getting about 5" at 25 yds with rapid fire, iron sights on a carbine that has a shot out B MP barrel, i think twist is 1/9.
My dedicated CMMG Upper gets about 1/2 that group with irons and rifle length iron site.
I'm also using Fed Bulk packs from 2008.
With the new CMMG waffle looking mags i haven't had any failures at all out of either conversion kits.
The grey CMMG mags had bad feedlips and i had many misfeeds on the last 1-3 rounds out of every mag but CMMG WARRANTIES them for replacement.
I agree, One of the funnest guns to shoot.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one and absolutely loved it. For plinking it was great. I recently sold my kit and bought a M&P 15-22 MOE so I could dial my irons vs having .223 sighted in and shooting .22's. Also the barrel twist wasn't ideal at 1/7. Awesome kits though. If you have a chance try one of those M&Ps.

TSgt Twitch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is some pretty good groups. How many rounds for your 2.5" group?
I usually shoot the whole 25rd mag for my groups and I'm getting about 5" at 25 yds with rapid fire, iron sights on a carbine that has a shot out B MP barrel, i think twist is 1/9.
My dedicated CMMG Upper gets about 1/2 that group with irons and rifle length iron site.
I'm also using Fed Bulk packs from 2008.
With the new CMMG waffle looking mags i haven't had any failures at all out of either conversion kits.
The grey CMMG mags had bad feedlips and i had many misfeeds on the last 1-3 rounds out of every mag but CMMG WARRANTIES them for replacement.
I agree, One of the funnest guns to shoot.

5 shot groups with CCI MM or veloc. very slow. seems to do great as long as you take your time and keep the bolt "wet". Really enjoying this little piece of kit. Think ill grab the drum or something to play with.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive heard of people sanding/polishing the rails the bolt slides on. Also, the same person said the lubricate it then wipe it dry... IDK I ran my wet with clp and got good results.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've run several thousand rounds through mine. It was hit and miss for a while, then i had harshfirearms (chevelle69) coat it with microslick. The combination of microslick and 4th gen black dog mags has it at 100% reliability.
Great kit to use for practice sessions before my 3-gun matches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom