CMP Sale of M855/M856 5.56 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IHC is the one Garand I haven't owned.

I might have to go fan-boy on that sale, LOL.

If you don't mind a mixmaster, or already have the parts to correct one, that would be the way to go, but I'd still recommend going to one of the Stores, or hiring someone, to do a hand-pick. I picked up my one and only IHC at the Wanenmacher show last month, and it's a Gapper in about 95% correct configuration. So, I'll watch the sale with bemusement :wink2:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooo then, too few if you're not logged in when they're listed.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Unless the CMP prices them at half the market rate, I expect the sale will last perhaps a week or two. Not everyone will have the scratch to plunk down $1K for a SG IHC that may or may not have a correct LMR barrel or stock, the two priciest parts to correct. Each of those parts will likely go for $300-500.

Remember, there was a great deal of anticipation for the Winchester M1's. When they were released and the price structure made public, there was an initial rush - then sales dropped off and it was some two years before they finally sold out.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm up in the air about an IHC. It is one that I don't currently have, so depending on the pricing I may or may not.

Anyone shot M856 out of a 1:7 twist 14.5" barrel? Just got a shipping notice on mine yesterday.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm up in the air about an IHC. It is one that I don't currently have, so depending on the pricing I may or may not.

Anyone shot M856 out of a 1:7 twist 14.5" barrel? Just got a shipping notice on mine yesterday.

Depends on whether or not you'd be satisfied with a mixmaster. I'm really curious how the CMP will structure their prices on those IHC's - will they sort and price not only by grade but also by heel stamp configuration? Or will they put up for sale only the postage stamps and send all the Gappers and Arrowheads to the auction venue? Or, as I'm sure everyone is hoping, will they just sort by grade regardless of heel stamp?

Got the shipping notice on my ammo yesterday, too. I'm just going to store it since I don't have any 5.56 AR's at this time :wink2:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 2010-2011 timeframe, the stores had racks and racks of FG Winnies that people weren't even looking at when I was there.

Same here - when I was at the SS twice a week apart, the people at the front of the line when the doors opened went straight to the SA SG's. One or two guys browsed the WRA's half-heartedly, hoping to find one with a WRA barrel in good shape. People just weren't hot on the idea of paying a premium only for the name on the receiver.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that they auctioned two IHC recently and i watched one end at a touch over $3K. Mine is an IHC and far as I know it is mostly a correct postage stamp rifle except for the stock. I thought the auctioned one was NUTS as i gave less than a 1/3 of that just over a year ago.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that they auctioned two IHC recently and i watched one end at a touch over $3K. Mine is an IHC and far as I know it is mostly a correct postage stamp rifle except for the stock. I thought the auctioned one was NUTS as i gave less than a 1/3 of that just over a year ago.

The CMP auctions are nuts, period. If you're looking to correct your IHC, you should've snagged a correct stock when you bought yours, because the prices on those stocks are climbing with the upcoming release of CMP IHC's. Nice cartouched ones with clear channel markings are going for $400+ when they used to be half that :shocked:

Funny thing; when the WRA's first came out, I hired a fellow to do a hand-pick for me at the SS so I could get one with a nice WRA barrel. The one I got had a decent IHC stock on it :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom