CNG tank Type 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one of these today and thought there must be someone here that uses CNG.
This is a big one and the type 4 has something like a plastic bladder and wrapped in Carbon fiber and resin.

I have the mount and straps and the rubber that goes on the straps.
I was told after i got it home on the luggage rack on the 57 Chevy that there is still some Natural gas in it.

The psi rating is 3600 If not used for Natural gas I bet it could be used for something else.. or maybe not.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those used to be pretty expensive. They are the lighter weight option being carbon fiber construction. I haven't priced them in a long time but they were a serious part of the cost of a CNG install if you went with them.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen any for sale in a long time. Years ago I saw used ones sell for close to 4000. A little over a year ago i talked to a guy out of Texas that was buying cng trucks, stripping the cng systems because he said they are selling for more without it. Find the right person and I can't imagine its not worth atleast a grand.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am amazed that there are very few reports (not a pun) hp 4000#+ cylinders failure. Breathing air first responders, hpa paintballs n airguns. Cng vehicles installed by Gomer and Goober got off craigslist. Wannabes hooking up some serious energy..
So many cylinders all sizes and conditions out there.
Fail to tighten a tubing connection, pressure up and have it whip around cut your arm off? Go slow. Be careful.
Even I bought a tiny 5k air compressor. Not in garage during fills.
Please be careful.
PS
My buddys sun deteriorated Fg wrap cng tank puts splinters where you cant see them if you sit on it while shooting pdogs from his truck bed.

OKC plumber called wanted me to "re certify" some ww2 navy surplus 30 ft long cylinders. I recommended ultrasound inspection for interior pitting. "Naw, that would cost money"
So whose widow and children do i want to face in court?
None.
Again, think and be careful.

RagdollOp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its possible that I might be interested in it. It would be after the holidays cause I'm broke at the moment. Does it have the manual shut off valve or is it wired?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This one has a couple wires and does not look like any valve on it that you can shut off.
Lincoln is the brand.
I think 55 gallon I will get a picture up when the sun comes out.

I was thinking I could trade it off for something I need like maybe ten 50 cal ammo cans.

I seen the prices on these tanks currently and they are in the $1800 area
This one is slick and shiny and not sun rotted.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just took one off of my ford truck. mine is the heavy one with the protective cabinet and the fuel shut off valve. before i removed it i contacted westport cng systems and got the instructions to depressurize it. i had to purchase a pigtail harness and hook it up to 12 volts and then open the manual valve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom