Cold front coming this weekend...what soup/chili/stew are you cooking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our DIL made some vennison chili last week........awesome. The deer meat was the first time that meat didn't taste gamey. Steaks, ground vennison were excellent. My son shot the deer last fall.;)

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm makin my special pea soup.

1 pound split peas
8 coups water
1 tablespoon oregano leaves(If you use ground oregano, half a teaspoon ought to be enough.)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon chopped parsley(optional)
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds of pre-cooked diced ham (1/4" to 1/2" cubes), set aside for adding later on.

Put all ingredients in a big pot except for the ham, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling begins, tilt the cover, reduce heat to a simmer (very low boil) and keep an eye out for boiling over. Simmer for about 45 minuets, and use a wire whip every 5 minuets or so to keep the peas from sticking and to help "dissolve" the split peas. Add in the cubed ham, raise heat to return to a boil then reduce heat back to a simmer, cover and stir occasionally for another ten to fifteen minuets.

I like it with cornbread or saltines.

Woody

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, what did you think?

I think I'm lazy and it didn't happen. I didn't realize you asked me about it until tonight because I am back to print the recipe, I'm gonna shop tomorrow night and make it Saturday. I'll be back with a review later.

It's in the crockpot now, dinner at 8:00. I scratched the parsley, aside from that we followed the recipe.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, what did you think?

Well, I think it is primarily because I had too lofty of expectations but it wasn't "knock your socks off good" like I thought it was going to be. The ingredient list reeked of brilliance, I was expecting the best pot of beans I've ever had and I can't honestly say it's better than a quality bowl of pinto beans & ham.

That being said, there is no question the recipe is a keeper. The next time I'm in the mood for something hearty I can eat with a spoon & bowl, I can see us making it again. It is definitely good eating, we had my brother in law and my cousin over for dinner too and everybody had a second bowl except my wife. My brother in law made a good observation too, he said the dish might benefit from a little sweetness and i can see where he is coming from so I think we may try throwing a little brown sugar in the mix next time and my wife says we need sweet cornbread next time too.

On a scale of 1-10 for soups, stews, chilis and the like... I'd put this in the 6-7 range, it's a goodie but not something I'm going to be dying to eat again in a week.

Thanks again for posting it up - we always like making something new.

Oh, one final note - this stuff smells even better than it tastes, the house smells amazing right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom