Colin Powell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Park, I agree with you completely. Republican in name only. No question.

Shadowrider, I am quoting you but not singling you out, as others here have made this statement as well.

With all the talk of Powell being a RINO, "IN Name Only," I have to ask, what IS a Republican these days. With the likes of Ron Paul, Colin Powell, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Bob Barr, et. al all running under the Republican banner at some point these last few years, I am not even sure what the NAME "Republican" stands for anymore. I mean, look how many ran as "Tea Party" conservatives against the bail out(s) and raising the debt ceiling, then quickly changed their tune in DC (cough*Lankford*cough).

Are we for a strong foreign presence, isolationism, or just jingoism?
Are we for limited government interaction, or for limiting bedroom and medical activities of homosexuals and women?
Are we for laissez faire economics, or do we believe the Government has a duty to oversee the economy, provide welfare and preference to large corporations (i.e. tax credits on federal, state, and local level) and "create jobs?"
Are we for less government meddling in private legal disputes and contract, or do we believe in limiting unions' negotiating power with private companies (i.e. Right to Work) and enacting tort reforms that artificially limit civil judgements?

The damn Republican Party is so scattered in its vision and actions among all its constituents, that the damn name "Republican" doesn't even mean anything anymore. So RINO really applies to anyone poor soul who tries to identify with that helpless party.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why can't we just call a racist a racist when the shoe fits?

I was clearly the result of "reverse racism" but it was a racist system that favored one race over another, not racist individuals.

You just indirectly contridicted yourself with another problem concerning the whole racism issue. Racism is racism, discrimination is discrimination. Adding the qualifier "reverse" to either is to suggest that racism and/or discrimination is a white phenomenon, and anything other is abnormal, and must be labeled with the special "reverse" tag. That isn't the case. They are what they are by definition, no qualifier needed.

As for Powell: why did he need to endorse Obama in the first place? Does he think anyone really cares what he thinks, or - was it that he thought a certain demographic might care what another prominent black man thinks? Another angle to the "race may be a factor" topic.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't like the GOP's current platform and direction? Lots of moderate Republicans are disgusted by the direction of the party.

Your post is an example of what I was talking about. Powell is black, therefore he is going to support a "brother" no matter what. That's what you are saying. And that is disgusting and simply wrong.

Obama got 95% of the black vote in the 2008 election.

If it looks like chit, smells like chit, feels like chit and tastes like chit then odds are its chit!

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does he think anyone really cares what he thinks, or - was it that he thought a certain demographic might care what another prominent black man thinks? Another angle to the "race may be a factor" topic.

I think you may be forgetting that in addition to being a prominent black man, he's also been a 4-star general (that's all the stars there are since Omar Bradley), the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Secretary of State. I think it's reasonable to assume that a great number of people care what he thinks, and not all of them are black by any means.

If there was any scheming behind the endorsement (and who are we kidding, there probably was), my guess is that it was an attempt to influence moderate Republicans.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If it looks like chit, smells like chit, feels like chit and tastes like chit then odds are its chit!

thats-racist.gif

Also you're forgetting that Republican policies are objectively worse for black people. That may have something to do with it. I mean they're objectively worse for lots of white people too but black people haven't been fooled into voting against their own interests because ABORTIONS AND ARABS yet.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'd love to see a source for that number (not that it has any relevance to Powell's statement/vote at all). If that were the case, Oklahoma voted at somewhere near that same percentage for the white guy last time, so...

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fail troll

Shadowrider, I am quoting you but not singling you out, as others here have made this statement as well.

With all the talk of Powell being a RINO, "IN Name Only," I have to ask, what IS a Republican these days. With the likes of Ron Paul, Colin Powell, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Bob Barr, et. al all running under the Republican banner at some point these last few years, I am not even sure what the NAME "Republican" stands for anymore. I mean, look how many ran as "Tea Party" conservatives against the bail out(s) and raising the debt ceiling, then quickly changed their tune in DC (cough*Lankford*cough).

Are we for a strong foreign presence, isolationism, or just jingoism?
Are we for limited government interaction, or for limiting bedroom and medical activities of homosexuals and women?
Are we for laissez faire economics, or do we believe the Government has a duty to oversee the economy, provide welfare and preference to large corporations (i.e. tax credits on federal, state, and local level) and "create jobs?"
Are we for less government meddling in private legal disputes and contract, or do we believe in limiting unions' negotiating power with private companies (i.e. Right to Work) and enacting tort reforms that artificially limit civil judgements?

The damn Republican Party is so scattered in its vision and actions among all its constituents, that the damn name "Republican" doesn't even mean anything anymore. So RINO really applies to anyone poor soul who tries to identify with that helpless party.

I normally disagree with much of what you say but this is a very good post. ^^^^^^. Kudos to you. Hard to disagree with it IMO. I would bet the Dem Party has the same "identity/ideology" issues you mentioned but to a lesser degree.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can really care less if I'm called a racist these days...

I will treat you the way you deserve to be treated.. skincolor be damned..

I wont dislike you. until I have got to know you.

And IF you call me a racist because I pointed out a truth you cant handle, or dont wish to hear... tough effn shart...

And I believe the actual number was 93% of the blacks voted for Barry...

Latest posts

Top Bottom